• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error loading OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

Okay.. so Iv been running my rig for nonstop for a day ( P4 system in sig) and I look into my computer to unmount a image of star craft so I could play fear due to the whole.. cannot run this game with emulation softwear on in the background stuff and I notice that my second 10 GB HD which has linux on it was no longer coming up.. so I was like.. Okkayy.. and I rebooted... Problem is that it would then freeze up on boot up for osme reason when it got to the IDE drive check.. so I was like.. okkayy and I unplugged it all and took out tbe battery.. then I tried it again and I managed to get it to get past that.. but then it brought uip a.. error loading OS message.. and I was like.. ARG.. so I got to the point where I put my XP disk in and was ready to reinstall but then I was like.. I wonder.... and I let it do the whole.. press any key to boot from CD thing and I let that message pass without pressing any keys.. AND DONT YOU KNOW IT IT COMES UP WITH THE BOOT MENU FOR WINDOWS AND LINUX... so .. uh.. how can I fix this so I wont need a boot CD every time I want to restart?

That sounds like either lilo or grub, but I still don't know which. and I don't know where you installed it either

Hm.. I think I may know what did it.. but I have noc lue how to fix it.. I had spy bot search and destory installed and every tiem I tried to change anyhting on my computer.. may it be me downloading updates or even changing my home page spy bot would stop the registry changes.. I just uninstalled it.

First, this doesn't sound like spybot's doing (denying ALL registry changes and such) and second, it certainly wouldn't mess with booting.

Since you have grub installed, you need to keep your linux disk connected too, or grub won't work and you can't boot.

It is connected. It only brings up the list of options if I have the XP disk in and let it go past the.. press any key to boot from CD thing.. Bleh.. I guess i can live with it for the moment.

What the windows CD does when you don't press any key or whatever is boot from the first hard drive, or the hard drive that is reconized as botoable. Check to make sure that, in your bios, it is booting the correct drive (the one with GRUB installed on it, which would probably be where your windows install is.

Ah.. Okay! That sounds simple! LOL I thought I had messed up everything some how.. I shall post back with results in amoment

Wohoo! I have to thank you guys again! I seem to over look the simple little things too often! THanks for the help!

Back