• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to apply new thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry_Norwegian

Registered
As the topic says, I'd like to know the best way to apply new goop.

This is a suggestion I have read at another forum:
Remove old paste with isopropanol, smugde in new paste on both processor and heatsink, remove excess with a razor blade or scalpel, assemble.

I was wondering how much goop I should leave. Scraping off with a razor blade leaves almost no visible amount of paste. Is this a good thing, or should I leave a thin layer?

I just place a really small dab on the center of the die face or IHS and then smoosh it around with a clipping off an index card or business card. Apply the right amount and then spread it out evenly, the heatsink or waterblock will compress it the rest of the way.

Using something like a razor blade or scalpel would simply remove the vast majority of what little you applied. You should have a very thin, but fairly visible layer of paste.

thats a good idea, I've always just kinda "wing'ed it" everytime I've had to...trying new methods each time, but this sounds good...

dz_jad said:
thats a good idea, I've always just kinda "wing'ed it" everytime I've had to...trying new methods each time, but this sounds good...

qft
ive never suceeded in overapplication of thermal paste.
temps are great, but by if you go "by the book" they shouldnt be.
i just slop some on, and install the heatsink.
life is too short to spread thermal paste properly.
plus, if a few degrees matter THAT much, your cooling is inadequate.
wellcome, angry!

Last edited:
Thank you, Orionlion82.
Well, yes, my cooling is inappropriate, using a stock cooler for a prescott. After applying new gunk and tidying up in my cabinet, getting cables out of the way and that sort of thing, temperatures dropped from 79°C (!) under load, not oc'ed, to 68° oc'ed. Which is just below throttling temperature. I guess I can live with that until I get my Ninja.

EDIT: By the way, I had a couple of old SIM cards lying around, they're perfect for applying cooling paste.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
The best way is your finger, i apply alot of it, not just a thin layer.

:mad: Whatever you do, do not use your bare finger. If you do, you will be adding your bodily oils and that is a big no no. It will not cool as well. If you do plan to use your finger to spead the thermal paste, wear a plastic glove.

Last edited:
Back