• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell hell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Invisigoth

I have an old Dell Inspiron 2650 that has some major issues. It is having problems booting. I lost the power cord and bought a universal one and it is listed as suported for that dell model. How I have to turn it on is weird too, the power light comes on when I press the on button, but to actually get it to try to boot I have to hold down the power button until the power light goes off and then press it again. It trys to start up, I can hear the fans running and the hard drive crunching but then it just stops.

Sometimes it will actually boot up all the way and windows will come up for maybe 20 seconds and then I get the infamous blue screen of death and it restarts, sometimes it will restart and give me the option to go into safe mode or run normally but most of the time when it restarts its just a black screen with a blinking cursor.

And one time I tried to start it I got some post beeps, one long and two short. I looked it up, but I dont know what BIOS it has, but most of them said that that post beep was due to Graphics/Display malfunction, but when I can get it to boot before the blue screen of death, everything looks normal.

Could it be a bad power supply? or was the post beeps right in telling me that there is a graphics/display issue? Or is the hard drive bad? And what about the blue screen of death?

The reason I am wondering this is because if the power supply and hard drive are bad and the processor and motherboard are good, im thinking of turning it into another computer... maybe some weird case mod type deal.

Thanks.

Back