• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD/DVD integrity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I recently bought a dvd burner and I have been burning many dvds of files ive had on my pc e.g. movies, applications, games. I am starting to worry about the integrity of the cd's and how long they will last, I just tried to install an application from a dvd I not long ago burned and I got error messages saying files were missing but I had used that same installation when it was on my hd to install the application flawlesley. I just need someone to tell me wether my worries are correct or wether cd's are a lot tougher than the look. I was thinking of buying one of those cd repair kits that claim to repair scratched and damaged discs somehow are these effective?

also is there a program that can check the data on a cd to check integrity.

thnx in advance

RIPSTER

I don't have enough experience with DVDs to say for sure, but I wouldn't be supprised if they died quicker than CDs. They're more sensitive to scratches, the dyes used are newer (so we don't really know how well they hold up), the pits used to store data smaller, etc... Sorry that I can't give a better answer than that, but I've only burned ~6 DVDs in the 3 months I've owned my burner. :( (I'm fairly sure they're all readable BTW, but have only checked mabey half of them)

As for software to verify the integrity, you may want to take a look at CDCheck. It can detect unreadable files on a disk and attempt to recover them (though because of the many ECC levels of CDs/DVDs, it's not likely :() or if you've created a hash of the files before burning, detect any kind of corruption in them.

JigPu

If you go with good media you shouldn't have a problem. for dvds use either verbatims or TYs. With cd media I just wait until staples has memorex blanks on sale, I've had good luck with them. for all important data though I like to use dvds.

I always burn dvd's on a slower speed then they can be burned on.
For example I now use Fuji-film DVD-R 8 speed.
Most of the times I burn my dvd on 4 speed, so half the speed I could burn them.

With this method (I dont know if it the method for sure or just luck :) ) I never had any problems... I burn around 15 dvd's a month.

I've burned well over 100 dvds in the last month on 2 burners and I've only had 1 coaster due to my nec getting too hot from burning 15+ in a row. :D

Back