• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cracking Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
The security firm first revealed a missive about the bugs in Microsoft’s next-generation OS in mid-July, stating that networking is one of the weak points. Then, the second report implied that what Microsoft calls advanced security features could actually be the next cadaver to be scavenged by worms, viruses and hoax, serving as loopholes.

In particular, Symantec detailed a handful of holes that affect Vista’s UAP (User Account Protection) feature. The UAP is designed to help companies reduce the impact of an infection with a virus, banning the malicious code to escalate its privileges on infected machines in order to further propagate itself or inflict other damage on affected computers.

Symantec insisted on the fact that the UAP, also known as LUA (Least-Privilege User Accounts or Limited User Accounts), is a weak spot in Windows Vista, since it can be circumvented by outside attackers, based on several implementation flaws, allowing the possibility for someone to elevate a computer's access privileges and take over a desktop running the OS.

Security has been a main concern for engineers and programmers at Redmond and the implementation of new feature in this area is a key to the future success of Vista. But Symantec warned that the very tools that Microsoft has developed are sensitive to attacks.

http://www.playfuls.com/news_03817_How_Much_Time_It_Takes_to_Crack_Windows_Vista.html

Perhaps they should test it against the Sony RootKit as well?

seeing as how Vista is just an extension of NT technology, and not an entirely new OS, no doubt many of the exploits are similar to previous exploits.

Considering Symantec wants to scare people into buying their products, I doubt we have much to fear.

hahaha, good old symantec and their attack on a BETA O/S :D

this should be interesting, what would be even more interesting if MS continued to do this through out Vista's life time, offering varioius incentives and the such, much like Apple did the hacking sessions to see if anyone could hack their systems, however it was failry flawed i recall. (behind numerous routers and firewalls?)

this reminds me of the website defacement contest, except for the fact that it's presented in what appears to be a slightly more credible format. the scam is exactly the same though.

"we need to say something rediculous to boost sales, but what?"
"let's find security flaws in an unfinished, unreleased, product!"
"briliant!"

I still think the anti-virus companies are the ccause of 85% of all viruses, worms, etc out there. I honestly think that they pay people to create all of these new viruses and worms, then release them into the "wild" then put big ads all over there website saying OMG OMG OMG look at the e1it3 hAx0rs stealing all of your credit card info and stealing your money! Then, the poor people who get scared and think there life is going to end buy it.

My entire lifetime of running norton anti virus, i have not dected one virus. ever.

/\Switch then, norton is a system hog and in no way balances its resource hog like abilities with an awsome scanner. Antivir is a free one if you are interested. As for this article. They have been bashing it for a long time now and personally think it's retarded. They seem to just be using the old scare tactic to sell their products. Though I do in someways think it's a good thing, as some of they are point out may not have been fixed before beta release and have a much higher chance of being so now.

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
I still think the anti-virus companies are the ccause of 85% of all viruses, worms, etc out there. I honestly think that they pay people to create all of these new viruses and worms, then release them into the "wild" then put big ads all over there website saying OMG OMG OMG look at the e1it3 hAx0rs stealing all of your credit card info and stealing your money! Then, the poor people who get scared and think there life is going to end buy it.

My entire lifetime of running norton anti virus, i have not dected one virus. ever.

There are times that I agree with part of your theory. IMO McAfee is actually more evil then Symantec because McAfee nags you to purchase even more of their products much harder then Symantec does, it's damn near constant. Also, their update method is absolutely retarded compared to Symantec's. Then again, Symantec seems to always cause that "ccApp not responding message" to appear briefly when shutting down Windows XP.

Living with Anti-Virus software is almost like living with a virus. It's causes me the same headaches and frustrations.

benbaked said:
There are times that I agree with part of your theory. IMO McAfee is actually more evil then Symantec because McAfee nags you to purchase even more of their products much harder then Symantec does, it's damn near constant. Also, their update method is absolutely retarded compared to Symantec's. Then again, Symantec seems to always cause that "ccApp not responding message" to appear briefly when shutting down Windows XP.

Living with Anti-Virus software is almost like living with a virus. It's causes me the same headaches and frustrations.

I have to disagree. Symantec demands a fee just for updating the virus definitions.
McAfee has been offering updates for free, unless the update requires a newer version of the anti-virus software.

I just use avast, I dont even really run much protection to be honest, I go to the same places all the time, even for whatever I download and I never get anything, and even though I dont format as much these days maybe 3 times since jan. I never have problems

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:

dude thats what i was thinking too, i use zonealarm as my anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. pretty handy and light and works good. although i detects some good programs as malicius.

STUPID AV COMPANIES:mad:

It's not us who need to worry about whether their anti-virus catches everything or not...

work in a computer repair shop for a week...90% of the systems you will work on are infected with some kind of virus/trojan, and severe spyware.

telexen said:
It's not us who need to worry about whether their anti-virus catches everything or not...

work in a computer repair shop for a week...90% of the systems you will work on are infected with some kind of virus/trojan, and severe spyware.

This gentleman ain't kidding...

Average Joe-User gets more viruses on thier computers in a week than we may get in our entire lifetimes.

TollhouseFrank said:
This gentleman ain't kidding...

Average Joe-User gets more viruses on thier computers in a week than we may get in our entire lifetimes.

I'll agree with that I just did a computer for a lady, She had over 450+ viruses and 1500+ warnings. Seems ehr son was downloading alot of stuff he shouldn't have.

RJARRRPCGP said:
McAfee has been offering updates for free, unless the update requires a newer version of the anti-virus software.

LOL, yeah they come out with a new version every year that requires you to upgrade if you want to keep getting updates. If you don't upgrade? They nag you with advertisements and offers in McAfee SecurityCenter, and they send you countless emails. You don't even need to have SecurityCenter open and they still blast you with advertisements to buy their other software. I didn't like advertising on my desktop when Microsoft tried to pull that **** with Active Desktop in Win98, and I don't like it when McAfee tries to do essentially the same thing.

Plus I think their update system (that uses a web browser) is inferior to Symantec's (that goes through or appears to go directly through the app). I lost track of how many times McAfee's website was not responding when I tried to run updates.

Wicked Klown said:
I'll agree with that I just did a computer for a lady, She had over 450+ viruses and 1500+ warnings. Seems ehr son was downloading alot of stuff he shouldn't have.

We had one machine at work that came in and took about 10 minutes or so to boot up, hmm bad/dieing HDD maybe...

First let us slam it into our anti-vi/anti-spy/malware machine...

Machine goes insane and tries to kill me for installing this drive.

The HDD ended up with 13k Virii/spyware..

My boss was shocked that the system booted and that the guy was able to use it.

One of my PCs is still on XPsp1 and it's doing fine. I think the NAT firewall in my router and good browsing habits do the most good. AVG, Spybot, Ad Aware, AntiSpywareBlaster are the backup.

I'm downloading the next post beta2 public version of Vista and I'll see how much it has been improved since beta2. RC1 is going to be the deal maker/breaker for me when it's released. I won't buy Vista if RC1 sucks even a little. XP has finally gotten polished to the point where it is fairly useful and problem free IMHO.

Back