• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe Calamity, Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seven

Hey guys,

I thought you guys could help with a few issues I've been having deciding what to do with my new rig that is going to be built this summer.

The situation

I have about $1000-$1500 that I am willing to spend on this machine, and I'd like to get as much raw power and performance in here while still being able to possibly afford a new watercooling system and a nice case.

Ideas...

Right now I'm looking at an E3600, which I feel is the best performance based on the general concensus of the forums. I'm looking at the P5W DH, which also seems to be the best board for a Conroe. The G.SKILL RAM which one of the senior members linked also seems to have the best overclocking potential, which I like.

What I'm confused about...

Right now my main issue is with futureproofing and upgradeability. I'm not sure if Crossfire or SLI is the way to go, or if I want to do it at a certain point. At this point I feel like I'm better off with a single, fast videocard and a little bit of money left over to spend on a watercooling system and a case. I'm leaning towards ATI at this point for a single videocard, but nVidia's quad SLI seems nice with that other Conroe-compatible board out there.

Please feel free to contribute anything you feel like on this issue, I could use your help.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Seven said:
Hey guys,

I thought you guys could help with a few issues I've been having deciding what to do with my new rig that is going to be built this summer.

The situation

I have about $1000-$1500 that I am willing to spend on this machine, and I'd like to get as much raw power and performance in here while still being able to possibly afford a new watercooling system and a nice case.

Ideas...

Right now I'm looking at an E3600, which I feel is the best performance based on the general concensus of the forums. I'm looking at the P5W DH, which also seems to be the best board for a Conroe. The G.SKILL RAM which one of the senior members linked also seems to have the best overclocking potential, which I like.

What I'm confused about...

Right now my main issue is with futureproofing and upgradeability. I'm not sure if Crossfire or SLI is the way to go, or if I want to do it at a certain point. At this point I feel like I'm better off with a single, fast videocard and a little bit of money left over to spend on a watercooling system and a case. I'm leaning towards ATI at this point for a single videocard, but nVidia's quad SLI seems nice with that other Conroe-compatible board out there.

Please feel free to contribute anything you feel like on this issue, I could use your help.

Thanks,

Hi, see my thread a few down about E6300 @3ghz. I think the E6300 and a 965 board are the best value for gaming. The Asus you mention will set you back about 100 more, but it does support SLI and crossfire while the 965 doesn't

Personally i am not that interestd in crossfire and SLI. I bought a X1900XT and it's pretty darn fast. I figure by the time it feels slow there will be something bigger and better that keeps up with dual video. I just don't see the value in dual video cards (no flames please)

I agree with Bottomsup, by the time I could afford a second video card the newest gen would be faster and have more features then 2x the old cards. Not only that but usually with selling my old card the cost is the same to go upto the newest card then it would to get a second card.

Hi seven :D

I think most 965P results would be even better with the E6400 to be perfectly honest (the motherboards max FSB hold the E6300 back IMHO)

And for bottom line performance.. the 965P mobos (the gigabyte boards with the newest bio's are preforming best right now) and a single high end GFX would be the best buy for gaming.

The ram selection is a good one IMHO :thup:

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll probably just stick with the P5W-DH and just buy a pretty fast single video card. Probably something a step down from top of the line, or maybe up there if it's cheap enough.

Thanks,

I'd consider the Team Xtreme ram from tankguys, few dollars more. That stuff has gotten some of the best OC's so far, besides that crazy Mushkin Redline stuff. It runs at 1.8-1.9v, so less likely to have ram voltage boot issues. Though I have the Gksill HZ stuff myself and works fine with the DS3, I'm not 100% sure it boots fine with the P5W DH. I know the Gskill ZX defintely has issues.

I 2nd going for the E6400 also, that extra multipler can make a big difference. Best suggestion is to not jump the gun if price is important. The more patient you are the best price you will get. I've overpaid about $180 this weekend to buy almost all my parts locally and get it up and running really quickly. You do that, and you should have enough to have your pick of video cards and cases.

Okay well it looks like I have around $1600 US to spend on this thing. Here's what I'd like to see...

-A nice conroe, probably the E6600 as it's looking like the best for price/performance. I'm also an experienced overclocker, but its' been awhile so I'm not sure if I'm for the E6400.

-A single, crazy-fast videocard. I'm looking into the X1900XT

-Fast RAM, enough to be overclocked sufficiently. And about 2GB of it too.

-Enough money left over to afford some watercooling goodies, a case, and a new keyboard/mouse

so far my tesing of an e6400 on a p5w dh has been less than stellar, compared to the p5b deluxe. righnt now it seems maxed at 420 fsb with mem set really slow and verrrrry loose timings!
It hit 435 folding stable on the p5b deluxe with much faster and tighter timings on the same mem.
There may be a memory sensitivity with this cpu/mobo combo. But same mem works well in this mobo with a 930 :shrug: ... at least on the shipped 5.02 bios.

my conclusion so far is that the p5b deluxe is a much better board for the 6400, and a bit cheaper too.
The p5b basic is not a good oc'ing alternative to the p5b deluxe or p5w dh.

Of course this is only based 1 sample of each of the 6400 and the 3 mobo's.

/edit ... i spoke too soon, p95 just hung at 420 fsb :bang head:

Last edited:
Thanks pscout.

I think I'm going to wait a few more days until these issues smooth themselves out. The P5W DH seems like the best choice, but the BIOS issue is a bit unsettling.

I have to shave about $300-400 off the system, having trouble deciding where to do it. I want to invest in a nice powersupply (looking at the Antec NeoPower 550 right now), but it's pretty expensive.

Also, how is the onboard sound on the P5W DH? It seems like I could skip a pretty major expense of a sound card if I used the integrated stuff. Any effects on performance or can I use onboard sound with no worries?

Thanks,

I'm not sure how much an integrated sound card would affect performance, but if you really had to, I don't think a budget external sound card would set you back by much.

greenmaji said:
Have you seen what the E6300's and E6400's can do on the GA-965P-DS3???

Yup, nothing. :mad: I've got this:

IMG_1100.jpg

No post. It's Patriot 2x1GB 667Mhz CL5 Signature Line, PSD22G667K. Here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220064

Picked up the DS3 from Fry's along with an e6300. Unfortunately, I do not have a speaker to hear error codes. I tried:

-2 different video cards (1 known good)
-Went through all the ram combos
-Clear CMOS
-Double checked all connections
-Unplugged USB devices

I can't be 100% certain it's the board, cpu, or ram since I've yet to see any up yet. But I'm fairly certain the board doesn't like the Patriot chips. I'll pick up some new one's tomorrow...Corsair ~ least hassle then? If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I have the G.skill ram you mentioned with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, and it works wonders ;)

The onboard sound is the best onboard sound I have ever herd actually, its very good.

I didn't wanna sleep tonight anyway. :bday: So I tossed the Ninja in place of the stock intel cooler. (read about a guy who's ds3's metal made contact with Ninja's backplate)

Nothing.

I definitely did smell hot/maybe fried circuit board tho. So in a fit I threw back the old rig/sans Ninja. (I really hate the way that installs) System is noisy again, but it works fine. Glad to know all my goodies are ok.

I'll be returning the ds3, e6300, and 7900gt in a couple hours. Oooh, I read about some Gigabyte nasty stories w/ USB over the past few hours too. Alas, I'll give it another go and see what happens. Probably pick up the Zalman 9500 w/ its lovely mount...

Cheers,

Sad Jod

RTM, update the bio's.. and get ram that can run fast enough to do 1:1 with your OC.. Jod, there was plenty to read about your setup before you had problems.

The E6400 and the DS3 is still a winning combo with fast ram and F3 or newer bios.

Well, it was the board for sure. After replacing the parts, I went through a windfall of fun. Here's the goods:

TWIN2X2048-5400c4 Boot @ 1.8V, changed to 1.9V per spec, SPD AUTO wrong (5.5.5.15, should have been 4.4.4.12), manufacturer date of almost a year ago, crashed Kaspersky, Firefox, and more. Definitely a bad stick, but I've had only one other Corsair ram set in the past...and they were bad too. :(

OCZ2G8002GK No boot @ 1.9V. The specs call for 2.0V, so go figure.

PDC22G5300LLK Boot @ 1.8V, SPD (4.4.4.12) perfectly on AUTO

After four pairs of sticks, PDP finally hooked it up. :D Bumped up the VDIMM to 2.0 and got this w/ stock timings.

untitled-1.jpg

Seven said:
I have to shave about $300-400 off the system, having trouble deciding where to do it. I want to invest in a nice powersupply (looking at the Antec NeoPower 550 right now), but it's pretty expensive.
You can get a OCZ520w for ~$10 cheaper than the unit you mentioned. Its also got a single +12v rail @ 33a. Last time I checked newegg.com they were goin for $109 after MIR.

Back