• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More fans = More problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zewt

Okay. I am going to spare you all the babble about my new setup and lay down the simple version of the story.

Today was the day I cut out four new fan holes for four new fans. I got it all done and was eager to put the guts back into the computer. Once I did just that, I plugged everything into the back of the computer. I hit the power switch and the box slowly roared a new, ferocious roar. I had a smile on my face... that smile did a 180 and turned into a frown. There was a message that the monitor was displaying. "Monitor working. Check signal cable." I got this problem before, back when I had my original fan setup (less fans). I always solved it with a restart. Not today. Everytime I restarted I would get the same message. So, I troubleshooted and tried some ideas. Here is a list.

Switched out video card = failure
Switched monitor = failure
Returned to original fan setup (less fans thus less power consumption) = failure

I basically came to the conclusion that it has to be my PSU. I wonder, though. How could it be my PSU if I reverted to only my one original fan? Please help, I would be most appreciative. Thank you very much in advance.

If you need any part of this post cleared up so you can understand, just say so. TY

well if it is the PSU and it did suffer something wrong to it then there is a chance it is long gone. Does it power anything up? light on the mobo or anything?

Don't mean to be an ***, Cracker, but everything is powered fully (as said in the post I believe). :) The only problem atm is that the monitor never gets a signal. The monitor is powered as well.

I am assuming you unplugged the new fans?

Also I assume you blew the case out well and made sure everything was seated correctly?

Denz: the vid card is powered. The fan spin and everything.

Enablingwolf: I did mention I tried powering on the computer with my original fan setup. I unplugged all the new fans in order to do this. I also made sure everything was seated. Double checked everything :)

Cracker: I feel ya man. It's late here and I am having trouble just typing this :p

Don't mean to bang on the PSU drum, but it's possible that it was marginal (you said you had this problem before, just intermittently), and that adding the fans pushed it over the edge. If you really want, you can do a full test ala the two bottom stickies in the General Hardware Forum. That's pretty much guaranteed to find your cuplrit, but it means stripping everything down to the very basics, just PSU, CPU, mobo, RAM, then testing each component by swapping it out with something known to work. If everything works, keep adding stuff until it stops working, and start from there. Doesn't mean the last item added is the bad piece, it might still be the PSU being on its last thump.

Theliberaltrut: Once again. I don't mean to be an *** but I tried switching out video cards already. I stated that in the post :p

Oxalic32: I am using an Antec 350 watt. I got it with my Antec case 2 years ago. This thing has been a trooper.

Exhausted mule: Like trying to plug it into the DVI port? That's not a bad idea. I'll try anything once.

Ponkan: I'll go ahead and read up on that sticky :)

Okay. I followed the guide and while it didn't fix the problem, I was able to rule out a lot of possibilities.

I am now going to proceed with switching the PSU. If that is not the case, then the only thing it can be is either the CPU or Mobo. Quite frankly, my money is on CPU being the problem if, indeed, the PSU isn't the culprit. Keep reading this thread, I want to keep you all updated on my progress ;)

What I would do is;
Take the mobo,cpu,vcard,ram, and ps, out of the case. Put it on a non-conductive surface, re-seat everything. Try booting with one stick of ram. Then the other.

Before, after you hooked everything back up, did you watch to make sure your cpu hs/fan was working?

OnDBorder: The guide that I recently read and followed through with included taking out the essential guts and putting them on a non conductive surface to make sure that the motherboard standoffs were not shorting out the motherboard (or something to that extent). To answer your other question: Yep, the cpu hs fan turns on and sounds healthy. The hs fan on the vid card also sounds very healthy.

Hokay. SOOOOO!!!! I wittled the possibilities down to a few. By testing another PSU and a friend's older but 'identical socket' cpu, I was able to make some guesses as to what is wrong.

1) My mobo is **** for some reason. I don't know what could have happened to it to make it just poop out on me. All I did was remove it and place it on a nice, flat piece of cardboard.
2) My agp slot is being stupid. Testing out a pci video card could help me greatly here. By doing that, I will be able to tell whether it is indeed my agp slot that is malfunctioning and not my whole mobo.

Anyways, as always, I am open to SUGGESTIONS! Please note that I have tried almost everything. But! If there is something you highly think I should try, please tell me. Ty very much.

Which motherboard do you have?

I gotten wording the Asus A7N8X motherboards can be majorly picky.

Back