• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc locks-up during gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkdchris

Registered
recently when I'm playing UT2003 Doom3... after 10 to 30 mins the pc locks-up forcing me to switch off the power supply and re-boot, as you can imagine its very frustrating.
I've tried a new processor fan in case it was overheating, I've tried updating the video card drivers, sound card drivers, mobo drivers and upddated the bios with no luck!

System specs
Medion cybermaxx 3.2Ghz P4 HT
1GB Ram
Radeon 9800 pro (driver ver 6.7)
350W psu
MSI MS-7041 Motherboard

any help would be great coz i'm close to throwing it through the window!

Try looking in control panel/computer management/event viewer. Look for events with red x next to them and look for a time stamp that matches when it happens. Post the most common result relating to your issue.

The only thing I got was this message

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 05/08/2006
Time: 23:23:43
User: N/A
Computer: PC1
Description:
The KService service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The video card is at default speed, i haven't overclocked anything on this pc.

its a medion psu that came with the pc, 350w. But I've had the pc for 2 years with no problems till now. Is 350w not powerfull enough?

Gnufsh said:
Off brand PSUs may not even be able to achieve their rated power.

Like Gnufsh suggested If you can, perhaps look into buying a better PSU. Fortron sells decent supplies that won't break your bank.

Matter of fact, I recently swapped my expensive PC Power and Cooling psu to a Fortron and It's as good or better. If your not sure what model to buy, do a Forum search for Fortron and keyword Larva, he's the one that recommended them to me and I'm glad I listened.

Cheers guys.
I just don't wan't to buy a psu and still get the lock-ups

The only time I've ever had something like that happen, was when I was playing BF2, and, well..the HSF popped off my CPU...bracket broke on it. Check your cpu temps.

Speedfan results

Temp1: 48c
Temp2: 1c
Temp3: -17c
HD0: 56c

+12v: 12.65v
+3.3v: 3.14v

Is this normal?

see if anyone of your friends have an extra PSU and/or graphics card you can barrow to test in your system.

The graphics card would be the simplest & quickest way to see if it is a video card issue long as you don't try on stick a 6800GT or higher in yours as I don't think 350w will properly run one.

tkdchris said:
Speedfan results

+12v: 12.65v

is that under load? sheesh i remember with my rosewill one came with case after 2 weeks everything was just bad and my 12v was at 12.75 i would try and see if you can get a better psu or borrow from someone to see if problems go away, usually psu that come with cases are complete garbage except for antec case that come with antec psu.. so try and borrow one off someone to see if it fixes ur problem.

I haven't tried playing UT2003 with lower settings because I have been running the game (and many others) with no problems for the past 2 years. The only changes I have made the the system is when I updated the video card for a 9800 pro a week after I got the machine (the one in it was gash), and added 512mb ram which I've had to take out due to a fault on Memtest86, unfortunataly this wan't causing my fault.

I will take your advice and see if i can borrow a PSU and GFX card.

Any recommedations for a PSU and Video Card if I need new?

Back