• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mistery card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Well I recently found the following card in the junkyard-

It says Ati RAGE 128 (I assume 128 doesn't refer to the RAM amount)
Windows tells me Ati Fury 32MB.

I've also got a nice story to the card

IMG_0343.jpg
Front

IMG_0353.jpg
Back, RAM chips as well

IMG_0350.jpg
Clearly Ati RAGE 128

I brought this card in today, installed it in my PIII rig, and re-installed Windows (because it was corrupt, too much OCing)

*Story, relatively irrelevant to the card*

The card worked perfectly. So I went to ati.com and got the latest drivers for XP, which support the RAGE cards.
Installed the drivers, OK, reboot, WTF, only 4bit color and 640x480. So I changed the depth to 32bit, but nothing happened. I thought I'd installed the wrong drivers, so I went to the device manager. Checked the graphics card, then again WTF, it lists my card as ¨Ati Fury¨. Looked again in ati.com, and the drivers for RAGE also support the ¨Fury¨. So I knew I had the correct driver. I then decided to clean all the drivers and reinstall, so I DLed Driver Cleaner. Tried to unzip the package, bam WinRAR coughs an error. So I tried to unzip again, then I get a dreaded BSOD.

OK, reboot. After POST I got a prompt, which asks me to select OS to boot to, WTF again, I only have XP *********! The first one is just gibberish, and the second one is Windows XP. So I told it to boot to XP, nothing. It just restarts, same for safe mode. The other choice tells me something's up with my hardware.

For the rig I had ditched the old Asus P2B (which worked flawlessly for PII/PIII configurations) in favor of an MSI MOBO which supports OCing through the BIOS and such.

So I thought the MOBO was bad. Spent 1 hour replacing MOBO, CPU retention arms, RAM, changing power/led cables, etc.

Fired the rig up, everything good POST. Of course it still wouldn't boot to XP, the same 2 choices. So I get ready to install Windows again on the same day.
The rig booted to the install CD fine, then when it was done loading the components, and starting Windows, another BSOD during install.

The rig was OCed, and it had worked fine (even higher than that) before @ the same speeds. So I set everything to stock, and tried again. Still same BSOD at the same time during install. After that I tried multiple setups, removed some RAM sticks, HD's, CD drives, but to no avail. Then I realized I bent some of the pins on the HD IDE connector, so I gave it up for the day.

Still, I'm very excited to know which card that is! I think I finally got the missing part for a CS 1.6 lan machine... had been looking for a faster card than my 4MB Ati 3D rage I had in there.

dan

Man that card is old school, can it even run Half Life? Just kidding, I could run Quake 3 playable on an original iMac - 233Mhz, Rage II 6MB, 160MB RAM!

Neural Net said:
Man that card is old school, can it even run Half Life? Just kidding, I could run Quake 3 playable on an original iMac - 233Mhz, Rage II 6MB, 160MB RAM!

I don't know, PIII 500 @ 575, 224MB RAM. Still, the first thing I want to do is to break the record for slowest rig running a specific flight simulator, now that is fun!!!

BTW, I also have more old school stuff.

dan

That should be able to run it, doesn't HL2 need a 700Mhz CPU minimum or something? So I'm sure it's a lot lower for the original.

I would hate to think of a flight sim running on that, and I've only played a couple. What flight sim do you plan playing on it, and is it going to be a slideshow? Sometimes its fun to max a game out and watch a system choke...

Neural Net said:
I would hate to think of a flight sim running on that, and I've only played a couple. What flight sim do you plan playing on it, and is it going to be a slideshow? Sometimes its fun to max a game out and watch a system choke...

It's Lo-mac (Lock On- Modern Air Combat)

The guy with the record for the slowest maching had a PII 350, 192MB RAM, adn A GF2MX 32MB I think.

I have all that stuff available, I just needed a step slower compared to the GF2MX. I'll try underclocking my PII350,then slapping that card in there. Slideshow of course.

My friggin fazt azz cardz-

2829333170054382089nONWtK_fs.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/145552504/2829333170054382089nONWtK

dan

BTW, I also need help identifying the lower right hand corner card... lol.

Last edited:
Jacobman said:
This is awesome, the future of computer enthusiast will be to have the slowest rigs, lol.

I think that'd be a cool challenge for OCforums.... slowest rig to run xxxx...

dan

I'm sure he can play HL1 fine on those specs. the game is over 7 years old (CS), and HL1 is older.

Dan0512 said:
BTW, I also need help identifying the lower right hand corner card... lol.

Hmmm, from the size of it I'd hazard a guess at an old Voodoo Card, one of the 4000 or 5000 series? :confused: There might be more detail on the other side? All the other cards are facing the opposite way. A higher res pic might help as well. :)

Dan0512 said:
It's Lo-mac (Lock On- Modern Air Combat)

The guy with the record for the slowest maching had a PII 350, 192MB RAM, adn A GF2MX 32MB I think.
:eek: If only I wouldn't be a noob by 2001 and take out my system. It was only a HDD problem and I ended destroying my old rig it was my main rig...

Pentium 233MHz with MMX:drool:
30MB of RAM (Couldn't run age of empires 2)
no video card
2.5GB HDD (it was endless space at that time...never got it filled up)
Windows 95

I even remember that the motherboard had SIMM spaces to put ram there and DIMM

That was the PC that I had before this one...too bad I was a n00b by then:cry:

I remember I had my PS2 and that machine was still running

Last edited:
Back