• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 3000+ Venice may have died!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

So I notice the fan stopped spinning and the heatsink was very warm but not burning hot. I rebooted and the fan spun again then I went to the bios to see whats wrong. It locked! I rebooted and it wouldnt boot up! Tried several times and finally it worked then I set the bios to load defaults. It took many tries to boot and when it did, it immediately locked. Nothing is overclocked. I suspect something in the cpu is damaged. I could buy another 3000+ Venice cheap. I could buy any a64 cpu+mobo combo cheap and replace both in case my mobo also has problems. I could sell the whole thing and wait many months till I can afford Conroe, in the while im stuck on a 1GHz Tbird. My dad thinks the PSU is bad, but theres no problem with it. What do you think and what should I do, replace my Venice or just wait for Conroe?

Have you tried using a different PSU? and I suggest benching it.. take the board out.. and go with the bare miniums for boot which is a single stick of ram.. CPU, video card and PSU and the board of course.

I already cleared the cmos, bios is set to default but ill try that again. What should have NOT happened was the fan stopped while I was in windows! I dont have another s939 mobo or would already have tried that. My cooling and psu are fine. I may have to buy a new a64 and possibly a new a64 mobo, at least both can be had for below $99 now.

jonspd said:
RIP and either go conroe or wait on amd 4x4.

I would if I had $1000 laying around. Intel is also making quad core around the same time AMD is and where it stands, Conroe 6800 XE overclocked can be twice as fast as fx62 overclocked :eek:

I have to wait on x4 as I'm already x2 so there ins't any need to upgrade ATM plus I'm fixin to be short on spare time.

Very odd, I tried taking out one stick of ram and I am typing this on my own computer as we speak. Maybe the ondie controller on the Venice is going bad. I used to be able to run both sticks at T1 command rate then it became unstable and got so bad I couldnt enter windows. Going to T2 fixed this. Oneday out of the blue it wouldnt post and I tried several things and just took out a stick of ram and it works! I will put it back and see if itll still post. If not ill try the other two DIMM slots. Right now running only 512mb single channel is unacceptable

Could be one of the sticks of ram or the board controller did you try the other stick or other slots?

"Right now running only 512mb single channel is unacceptable"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

what is it you do that needs 1 gig or more? you don't really play games as we all know, and not once have you mentioned anything pertaining to video editing, MP3 rippage or any related stuffs that needs huge memory reserves.

not to say that having a full gig is unnecessary, but you should be able to 'limp' along with 512 with no discernable performance loss, for what you do on a daily basis.

so, have you tested the ram properly now to see if you have a bad stick???

baldy

Yep I'd put my money on the memory being bad. It's much more likely than a bad CPU or motherboard. Although the stopped CPU fan is very odd. Do you use any software fan control?

Overclocker550 said:
I would if I had $1000 laying around. Intel is also making quad core around the same time AMD is and where it stands, Conroe 6800 XE overclocked can be twice as fast as fx62 overclocked :eek:

You can get an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA for 55 bucks and an E6300 for 200 bucks. That way you can use your existing ram and video card and still have a Core 2 Duo that would make the FX62 cry.

Back