• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 Sata Drives, does it matter which order there in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

Okay... So, while i was getting my mobo out of my machien to RMA it, i took my hard drives out (4 37gb raptors, raid 0+1) and they got mixed up. :bang head

Now.. Theres 2 different models, 2 of each model. One of the models has both of them together in the middle of the setup (raid port 2 and 3) and the other 2 are one on top, one on bottom (raid port 1 and 4) Now my question is...

Does it matter which port each sata drive is plugged into to boot from? Or does it have to be in the same order as it was when you created the array... Im way to lazy to figure out which drives went where, and i was just curious. :)

oh yeah since no one responded, i can't say. I've never taken the risk of messing up the order of my RAID drives.

It might be that it will just autoconfig for each drive, then again it might just refuse to work since you have the drives in the wrong slots.

Only option is to plug them in and see if it boots into windows :rolleyes:

My Intel onboard didn't complain bout it even I swapped both drives (Matrix Raid 0+1) at the 4 sata ports at all combinations, did that on purpose when testing the raid for recovery preparation.

Seems like the raid metadata is stored at each drive, but not sure bout that for Nvidia chipset. :confused:

Back