• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 5000 canceld

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aligoonbaba

Registered
Anyone know the deal with this? I had one on pre-order and got an email this morning from tigerdirect saying all orders have been canceled. I thought they were keeping this cpu in production? I'm pretty ****ed, I have everything else in, that's all I was waiting for. My heart has been shattered =(

If anyone else has one on pre-order. I would call your seller and find out if they are still getting them in.

That article isn't good news. But it was posted back in March, and they have been sold on the AM2 platform. It just ****es me off that I wait nearly 2 weeks, and then uh oh! it's canceled..."sorry".

yeah...I had a small problem with them before, but nothing major. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should wait it out, or grab a 4800 or 4600. I've got all this beautiful computer equipment brand new in boxes....and no cpu. lol it's quite frustrating.

If you have the money grab a 4800+, i want one to upgrade my A64 4000+ from (sk939).

The biggest difference between the 4600 and the 4800 is the cache. 4800 has 1mb 4600 has 512kb.

Didnt make that much of a performance difference on sk939, but im not sure about am2. (with ddr2). But if you had the money set aside for a 5000 get a 4800 :)

I was looking at benchmarks and it seems the 4800 has better gaming performance, seems the extra cache helps in the gaming department... anyone know of some places with good prices. monarch has it for like 380 i think.

p.s. yeah sorry about the typo. sometime i don't think when I type.

Socket AM2 4800+ and 5000+ are impossible to find, don't waste a month like I did order a 4600+ buy a Zalman 9500 Cooler with some AS5 and overclock it to 2.6 GHz, problem solved. Same performance better looking.

Most of the froogle links had them backorderd. I've been looking around and it seems at the end of this month they will be readily available...just in time for my b-day =)

The X2 5000 exists, I have read articles about them testing its power comsumption. As for that article about it being a blooper, I cant see companys still taking orders for it 6 months after it is announced a blooper.

Even if the 5000 is not around, there are very few X2 4800 and 4600 around. Im still gonna hold out for one.

There is a guy in Australia on eBay that has 19 of them... I just dont want to pay the extra $40 he want for them, and I would get hit with a import duty too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AMD-ATHLON-64-X2...oryZ3672QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You shouldn't have sent that link. I will get hit with the duty too, but man is it tempting. I agree with your point about the 5000 being a blooper, AMD just needs to get more of these on the streets pronto.

If anyone catches an article on whats up with the 5000s 939 or AM2 please bump this thead with a linky. IMO Sounds like a low sales projection in the open retail market where they have guaranteed sales in the prebuild market (Dell, HP etc). I know AMD is make adjustments to both promote sales and hold onto bottom dollar all while moving to larger wafers which produce more chips per production run, move lines to 65nm shortly after and get K8L online. I would venture this is a stratagic move that both produce the most popular selling chips and keep employees. Intel laidoff something like 1000 executives, source EWeek http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1991809,00.asp
I guess to lower chip prices. I've not heard AMD doing this.

I read somewhere on these forums AMD was laying off a few as well...

But cannot find an article to back it up. Well, none later than 2002.

Or i may be imaginging tihngs.. its 3am :bang head time to go to sleep

I did some reading in a few places and a common rumor going around is X2 5000 should be available about 2 weeks into Aug, first a small shipment, the a week later, a big shipment. IIRC this came from Monarch. This matches up with the Aussie's Aug 16.

Back