• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

15 hour marathon. Heat stable. COOL or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Usually my comp is never on for longer than 5-6 hours at a clip but i had it on for like 15-20 hours straight today. Basically playing a graphic intense game that whole time. HOWEVER my video card didn't budge from 60-65c..... and the fan speed was 27%too

Im just wondering. does it hurt the computer leaving it on for so long even if the temps are within range? yes i know school comps and work comps are sometimes left on for days even but there not running intense applications constantly like i was.

just curious.

No it shouldnt hurt it. These are machines which are built to run 100% for their lifetime.

Alot of people say it actually hurts it more than leaving it on. And I myself say that, like your car constant starting wears on the internals, causing breakdown. After awhile things go out on a car, starter to clutch. Leaving your PC on 24/7 won't hurt it. And the heat unless really unreasonable won't be bad either.

The Mean Time between Failure for most of your parts are upwards of 100000 hours. (thats 100+ years run year round)

I've heard that leaving your computer on is better because you do not have to worry about the transients that exist when you turn your computer on and off constantly.

umm i think you meant 1,000,000 hours, or 114 years.....if you meant 100,000 hours thats 11.4 years....either way its longer that you should be trying to run the computer, at least without upgrading....lol.....as for leaving it on, ur biggest concern should be making sure whoever pays the electric bill isn't ****ed off at you, and that you have a failsafe incase ur air conditioning goes out or whatever.....so that it shuts off if gets too hot.

ponkan pinoy said:
Most power-hungry component is usually the monitor, 'specially if it's a CRT.

Well, as long as you don't have an overclocked Pentium D, especially an 800 series. :D

But seriously, a nice CRT can draw 100W or more. I suppose a few of the highest end graphics cards and processors draw that much, but only a few.

People actually turn their computers off? :confused: My uptime is usualy measured in months.

Back