• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo or Power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokin9

Registered
Ive got a dfi lp ultra d, with a ocz modstream power supply. Few days ago my circuit breaker from my house tripped in the room where my computer is, when I tried to turn the computer back on it didnt do anthing, no fans spinning nothing. The little yellow light was on telling me it was getting some sort of power, I did this test to test if it was the power supply buy shorting the black and green wire on the power supply to see if it starts up...

Anyone else ever have this problem? That mean my mobo is screwed and I have to get another one? Thx

Last edited:
u opened therefore voiding ur psu warranty? *gasps*

Got any other psu? that's the best way to really find out if ur mobo is still alive or not. Another word for you... UPS. They usually come with surge protectors too. Look for busted caps too btw. Those can be replaced without getting a new mobo. Can't be too hard to tell, eeking and orangish>?

I think he's saying he shorted the pins on the ATX connector to startup the PSU (The green wire started the PSU and the balck is obviously ground)

I'd think that if the PSU works like that, then try to get a hold of another PSU to test the board. Remove all the other components and just have the PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and single video card.

maybe even first try it without the video card just to see if it posts (it should beep)

Yea I didnt actually open up the power supply, just shorted the pins on the connector.

I tried a different ps and the same thing, only the little yellow light and had to start up with the short. Guess some how my mobo got screwed up. I know i should have had a surge protector on it, ive got one now, althought alittle late. Good thing its only the mobo, something on it must have screwed up where it doesnt close the connection from the power supply.

Can I still rma this or does warranty not cover that?

Last edited:
Eh, it's worth a try.... I'd probably RMA...I mean you never know, the MB may have crapped out and caused the circuit breaker to trip.

I'd find a way to have your PSU tested to be sure it's not screwed up, before you hook it to a new board.

But yeah, RMA...worst that happens is they say no. But I'd bet they say yes.

Mine actually did the same exact thing... I cant remember how I came about to do this but I kept flipping the power off and on from the back of the psu and at the same time clicking the power button on the computer and it actually came on. Its been working like this for about 7 or so months now lol im just to lazy to find out what the real problem is.

Back