• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Express X1 What is it good for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

Is there anything out yet other then SATA Card that use this slot? Like Sound cards or anything? I haven't seen anything as of yet.

I'm just curious b/c this type of slot has been out for what now about a year and still really nothing out there. I would like to see sound cards use this as I think would give some performance boost for them.

But really other then that I can't see what else would go in there as mother boards now adays pack everything you could ever need on them and unless you are using tons of SATA devices you really wouldn't need a SATA addon card for it. So really what's the point?

I'm kind of picky I hate wasted spaces I think additional PCI Express X16 slots would be more useful especially when/if this thing with using normal video cards for physics processing or Quad SLI or whatever.

There are a few PNY Quadro cards out there that will use that slot, SPENDY

Also, if you can find one, Powercolor makes a Theater550 and Theater650 that will use the x1 slots

~ Gos

I don't understand why pci-e 1x hasn't flooded the market yet.
It is packet compatible with PCI, it is designed to be CHEAPER to manufacture, it has HIGHER performance, and it is widely available.
Think physics card, network card, sound card, all those stuff.

PCI-e looks like the holy grail of expansion slots to me, a perfect mobo will have 7 PCI-e physical x16 slots.

But for some reason or another the PCI bus still monopolises the expansion slot market, because most of the expansion cards "don't need the extra performance" but what about the reduced cost?
PCI-e was designed to be less costly then PCI and especially PCI-X...

There are still far more people out there with PCI slots than PCI-e slots (and just about everyone with a PCI Express slot has a regular PCI slot). So if you want wide adoption of your card, you need to have a PCI version. My guess is that it's cheaper not to have to run two production lines to produce 2 different versions of the card. It will take off eventually, as PCI-E becomes increasingly accepted.

Back