• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a sound card reccomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tkotitan

Registered
I am overclocking the fsb on an iwill MPX2, which has no agp/pci lock. I'm raising it from the default 133 to 142, so the pci bus is only going up by a couple mhz. I also have a "PCI latency timer" setting in my BIOS i've set to 30, but not sure what that makes the actual clock, I don't have the hardware to measure actual pci frequency.

The point is my sound card has behaved strangely while overclocking. It mainly works, but it's kicked out in 5.1 mode but sounds fine if i switch to 2 speaker mdoe in software. I get pops of static and fading in and out volume. It's an el-cheapo 5.1 card.

So I need a new sound card, one that can handle an overclocked bus better. I guess I'm asking for you old overclockers from before the days of agp/pci locks to make some reccomendations. My speaker set isn't amazing so I don't need a top-end card, just something to get the job done, a 5.1 card or even a 7.1 card, if they are compatible with 5.1 speakers (not sure).

Part of me wants to try m-audio cards and eventually get professional grde microphones in there. Not sure if they overclock well, but i'm not at that point yet. Just a random thought.

If you can find one, I've always(and still do) had great luck with the Philips Acoustic Edge sound card. Very easy setup, and at highly oc'ed settings has never crapped out on me. Takke it for what its worth, but Creative Labs cards have almost always been a problem(haven't even tried one since the SB Live).

Back