• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers!! Help me OC my P4 2.4ghz processor to play Oblivion!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PenguinIzzy

Registered
Greetings!

My computer is a P4 2.4 ghz equipped with 1 Gig of Ram and a ATI X1300 256 MB video card. I recently bought the game Oblivion about a month ago, and I became interested in overclocking my CPU to the system recommended 3.0 ghz to play the game.

However, since I am a relative newbie in the field of overclocking, I do have the following questions:

1. How do I determine what type of P4 I have in my computer? (Northwood, etc.)?

2. What possible cooling materials might be ideal for my overclocked computer?

3. How do I know if my motherboard is good enough to overclock? I bought my computer pre-made from Dell (way before I became interested in maximizing my computer's performance, I know now I should have just attempted to build the computer myself) but I did not skimp on the price. My computer cost me about $1000.

4. What programs might I need to test my computer's stability after overclocking?

Of course, I have read and read a dozen FAQs on the subject of overclocking in this message board and have a fair idea of what I want to attempt with my computer, but I just want to cover all my bases and get direct feedback from successful overclockers. I know most of the board members here have had experience o'clocking with the P4 2.4, so if anybody has any input on the matter I would greatly appreciate it.

I was also thinking of purchasing the new Conroe chips from Intel (probably will settle for one that is around the $250 range) but I don't know if I have to overclock those as well to achieve smooth FPS for my computer games. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all for your time and knowledge. ;)

:burn:

mr. roboto said:
Sorry, but Dell locks all of their overclocking features in the BIOS :(

Really? So it is impossible to overclock on a Dell?

Noooooooo! :bang head:

I'd more worried about that x1300 right now....it's a really bad video card especially for oblivion..try to find an x850 pro or xt for ~$130-140..and you should see a huge gain in performance..because right now it's your video card that bottlenecks your gaming..if you got more money go for an x1800gto (my current card) or a 7800gt ($190-230)..or if you've really got spare cash go for the 7900gt or higher (300+)

White_Pawn said:
uhh. can you use software for ocing on a dell?

X1300 =/= oblivion.

your videocard is a real set back.

Oh I know, it couldn't even handle the "chameleon" and "gate" effects of the game, and so I had to research and experiment with many community Mod fixes just to be able to play the game. I've spent about as much time tweaking the .ini file as I have playing the game itself, so I guess it's true when the game designers said there is more than 200 hours plus of gaming time found in Oblivion (gaming + tweaking). :)

But I don't think my graphics card is bottlenecking me, the CPU is really the one that's super-slow at 2.4 ghz. I just spent the last two hours researching Dell, and found out (rather sadly) that it is *impossible* to overclock the CPU with the current motherboard because they do lock the BIOS, and overclocking software such as Clockgen offer no significant improvements. I don't understand it-- I spent hard-earned money on my computer, I should be able to crash it into a wall if I want to! Argh, Dell's limitations are rather frustrating but it will never be learned by the casual users until they decide to step up their computer's performance and find out how royally they have been screwed (as I have).

I am thinking of starting from scratch and just building my computer from the ground-up. Unfortunately, this has been a very expensive lesson to learn for me.. I spent $130 on 1 Gig of Ram and the video card cost me around $200.. for nearly the same money, I could've bought an XBox 360 and been freed from all the aggravation. :cry:

So, should I just buy an XBox 360 or build my own computer from scratch?

Thanks a lot for everyone's input!

In most games, a faster CPU wont make all that much difference, hell, I have a [email protected] and it tears through games with ease, but at the same time I have a somewhat high end video card. The video card is what makes or breaks it in games nowdays. The cpu is more for background calculations. A 2.4 will do just fine, get a new vidcard, and you will be able to play oblivion just fine.

A your 2.4Ghz P4 is very weak and to be honest your x1300 is even weaker. $200 for an x1300? That can be bought for less than $100. Well the cheapest thing for you to do is buy an xbox because your computer should handle most tasks except gaming.

shard said:
In most games, a faster CPU wont make all that much difference, hell, I have a [email protected] and it tears through games with ease, but at the same time I have a somewhat high end video card. The video card is what makes or breaks it in games nowdays. The cpu is more for background calculations. A 2.4 will do just fine, get a new vidcard, and you will be able to play oblivion just fine.

You might be right. However, from my own personal experience (and obsessively reading on the Oblivion forum) CPU performance in Oblivion does make a ton of difference in the game. I read that the reason the game is so CPU dependent is that music for the game loads in real-time. I can reach a FPS of 17+ outdoors (good but unplayable for me) and 50+ fps indoors (the standard). What I really want to do is reach an FPS of 25+ outdoors (the Mt. Everest of Oblivion).

I was thinking of buying a new motherboard instead of a new CPU and just overclocking. However, there are other things to consider (the placement of the new parts on the motherboard so they don't overheat each other, how long the wires have to be, the compatiblity of my already-owned RAM and Graphics Card on the new board, the type of cooling material, etc.) that I have only begun to wrap my head around. =(

bignick said:
A your 2.4Ghz P4 is very weak and to be honest your x1300 is even weaker. $200 for an x1300? That can be bought for less than $100. Well the cheapest thing for you to do is buy an xbox because your computer should handle most tasks except gaming.
Yeah, the guys at Best Buy really screwed me over big time. It was I think $160 for the card and $40 for installation. I would've installed it myself, but I suspected that they sold me a graphics card that was not compatible with my mobos and I didn't want to keep coming back. I was right-- they had to get a different model of the video card I purchased since they screwed up the compatability too. I have Best Buy horror stories until the cows come home.

Shard you have to remember you have an [email protected] with is easily as fast as a 3.0Ghz P4. I disagree with processor not making a big difference in games. Especially Oblivion which is coded for dual core CPU's so it makes a big impact. When I went from a P4 [email protected] to an [email protected] Oblivion was a whole new game for me and my video card is a 7900GT@650/1800. My P4 would get choppy Outdoors in a fight @1280x1024 max setting and now it very smooth.

bignick said:
Shard you have to remember you have an [email protected] with is easily as fast as a 3.0Ghz P4. I disagree with processor not making a big difference in games. Especially Oblivion which is coded for dual core CPU's so it makes a big impact. When I went from a P4 [email protected] to an [email protected] Oblivion was a whole new game for me and my video card is a 7900GT@650/1800. My P4 would get choppy Outdoors in a fight @1280x1024 max setting and now it very smooth.
Out of curiosity, how much did your computer cost you? (I am assuming you built it yourself?)

I built a very low buck gamer less than $1000. I would have to do inventory but around $980 I think. That's less monitor, keyboard and mouse.

bignick said:
I built a very low buck gamer less than $1000. I would have to do inventory but around $980 I think. That's less monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Mmm, ok thanks. I think I will just buy a new Mobo that's already compatible with all my pre-existing stuff, and OC my p4 Northwood.

card $120.00
board $65
cpu $80
gig of RAM $150 or cheaper
PSU $80 < or dells if it's not a fire hazzard
windowsXp oem $89
use other parts from the dell

I've played oblivion on this setup just fine........ I've played it on a dual-core with the system in my sig as well.

make sure the mobo is compatible with your dell case..and don't try to have best buy install the mobo, they don't do that (used to work there)...some liability issue with manufacturers, probably voiding your warranty or some crap. Either do it yourself or take it a local PC shop (a real pc shop..not best buy).

Jame Gumb said:
card $120.00
board $65
cpu $80
gig of RAM $150 or cheaper
PSU $80 < or dells if it's not a fire hazzard
windowsXp oem $89
use other parts from the dell

I've played oblivion on this setup just fine........ I've played it on a dual-core with the system in my sig as well.
Care to be more specific about your purchases? :)

or you can pick up a full tower from svc for like $20 bucks.. the case wouldnt be something I would be conserned about..

heck the thing probily has resell value localy, if you throw the monior/keyboard/mouse in with it.

bobburn said:
make sure the mobo is compatible with your dell case..and don't try to have best buy install the mobo, they don't do that (used to work there)...some liability issue with manufacturers, probably voiding your warranty or some crap. Either do it yourself or take it a local PC shop (a real pc shop..not best buy).
Thanks, I will definitely do that!

greenmaji said:
or you can pick up a full tower from svc for like $20 bucks.. the case wouldnt be something I would be conserned about..

heck the thing probily has resell value localy, if you throw the monior/keyboard/mouse in with it.
You mean my computer? Yeah, I have kept it pretty clean of viruses and it's only three years old, and it plays other games just fine (Sims 2, CS: Source although larger maps suffer). It's a good PC... but I dream of outdoors 25+ FPS for Oblivion like everyone else. :cry:

Back