• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some better numbers -- CPU price collapse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceage

I for one won't mind if the prices drop another 50%. Can't wait to upgrade my folding farm to some nice dual core rigs. If the Intel 9xx and the AMD 4xxx+ chips come down another $50-$100 per, it'll be swapping time. :D

I can't see a down side to this, from a buyer perspective. Can anyone?

I can see a downside from a buyer's perspective but it is long term.
What happens if AMD folds ?
Then you have one company that can set their own price for their stuff.

hkgonra said:
I can see a downside from a buyer's perspective but it is long term.
What happens if AMD folds ?
Then you have one company that can set their own price for their stuff.

AMD wont fold, in fact they have the larger market share when it comes to servers now, something like 65% market share. Considering that the server market can bring in as much, if not more, then standard consumer and OEM level chips, there is no need to worry about AMD going under. And since AMD has already played this game before, low price/low yeild, they can do it again. Intel has only striked back for the FIRST time ;)

shard said:
AMD wont fold, in fact they have the larger market share when it comes to servers now
Server market is quite small even if they sold 100% of it I don't think it would keep them afloat all by it self.

Mr.DLucey said:
Server market is quite small even if they sold 100% of it I don't think it would keep them afloat all by it self.

But AMD has survived this long, I am very confident that they will survive longer, and like I said, conroe is realy the first time that intel has been able to undercut AMD like this, before it was AMD doing the undercutting.

In a way they did the same by introducing the first microprocessor 4004. Until the Athlon, AMD was mearly following Intels lead. I don't think AMD is in anyway going to fold though. I would say their future is pretty bright as ATI could really do some amazing stuff when combined with AMD.

Computing history has shown all parts prices go down... new parts are developed and then older parts become obsolete. Why should it be any different now?

I remember the old 286 systems costing over $2500... Im glad they are gone.

Bottom line is Intel and AMD will be is a constant and very long marketshare battle and neither one will drop off...

tenchi86 said:
I would say their future is pretty bright as ATI could really do some amazing stuff when combined with AMD.

ATI working with AMD to make chipsets for the AMD platforms would = Crazy overclocking motherboards with increased performance per clock and more stability.
It would be just like Intel chipsets are for Intel rigs ;)

Mr.DLucey said:

Sun seems to be doing just fine without destop CPU's.

But I doubt AMD will get to that point, they have a lot of positives in their future.

I can't wait for ati and amd to come out with a matx mobo with a high end integrated graphics chipset. That could do so much for case airflow.

In terms of AMD folding, as soon as 65nm comes theyll be right back on top.

There never can be a "mobo high end integrated graphics chipset"
You never have the needed memory bandwith. Nor the cooling capacity.

as far as cooling capacity, I think they could handle that fine with an adapter for a heatsink.

I think maybe the best route will be a mobo with a socket for a gpu that could use HT, and slots for video ram. There are already a few articles talking about mobos that will have multiple sockets to drop in ur choice of extra processors, co-processors, or gpus that will all share the HT without neading a northbridge to communicate.

You can't have sockets for high speed videoram. Otherwise we'd already have them in our videocards and our sockets for normal RAM would run at 700MHz too. Unfortunately they aren't and we need tons of cache on our CPUs

If you add another socket to the mobo the price difference would probably be nil to a discrete graphics board, especially when you have to use special video ram too.

While we're at the wishing stage: please let me have 256bit paths to my main memory as well, just like videocards have for years now.

While we're at the wishing stage: please let me have 256bit paths to my main memory as well, just like videocards have for years now.
And sockets on hard drives to add more cache, please.

*Edit* Let's make everything a socket. Hard drives, southbridges, optical drives...

johan851 said:
And sockets on hard drives to add more cache, please.

*Edit* Let's make everything a socket. Hard drives, southbridges, optical drives...

thats not a bad idea you know. it would make computers infinantly more customizable

Back