• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning a swiftech storm and mcp655

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkresh

Just took apart my setup in the move to conroe (or to an 805 while waiting for conroe) and want to clean the parts before putting in the new loop. For the radiator I can just flush with vinageer, but for the pump/waterblock is it ok to fill with vinager and let it sit for a while or would that be bad for the plastic/delrin, and if its bad how do you clean them (ie if I take the storm apart, what part is safe to soak in vinager and what isint...)?

thanks, so the plastic wont be affected by the acid in the vinager?

don't soak anything thats plastic in vinegar, just use the vinegar to clean it out.

You will prob do some damage if you leave vinegar in plastic components for extended periods....

rinse with distilled water after the vinegar to clean it all out.

Sneaky, the parts arent new (outside of the rad), and there is a build up in them (not entriely sure of what, possibly due to the fluid xp used)

Sneaky said:
don't soak new parts in vinegar - just rinse them out with distilled water and you'll be fine

I was under the impression that you always ALWAYS ALWAYS rinse your rad with vinegar whether it's new or not.

ik you flush rads with vinegar, but the blocks - take the storm apart, and soak the base in vinegar, scrub the mid plate out with a toothbrush and some soapy water

the pump, take that apart as well (unscrew the big collar with the grips on it) and pull the whole motor assembly out

pull out the impeller (very strong magnet holding it in place), and rinse the impeller peice, and clean the impeller housing with a rag, and rinse the front pump housing in hot water

then you should be all good... don't forget to fush the rad with vinegar until it comes out clear

Sneaky said:
ik you flush rads with vinegar, but the blocks - take the storm apart, and soak the base in vinegar, scrub the mid plate out with a toothbrush and some soapy water

the pump, take that apart as well (unscrew the big collar with the grips on it) and pull the whole motor assembly out

pull out the impeller (very strong magnet holding it in place), and rinse the impeller peice, and clean the impeller housing with a rag, and rinse the front pump housing in hot water

then you should be all good... don't forget to fush the rad with vinegar until it comes out clear

sorry, read that wrong... thought you said don't flush new rads with vinegar.

Sneaky said:

I was wondering about this b4 I redo my loop. Is the design pretty much idiot proof, because I'm an idiot and afraid of putting something out of tolerance once it's opened.

kimochii72 said:
I was wondering about this b4 I redo my loop. Is the design pretty much idiot proof, because I'm an idiot and afraid of putting something out of tolerance once it's opened.

yea - its pretty idiot proof, just make sure you put the top on in the right direction so the outlet in the mid plate matches up with the outlet barb on the top plate - i've seen someone switch it around before and wonder why there was no flow in his loop :beer:

Sneaky said:
yea - its pretty idiot proof, just make sure you put the top on in the right direction so the outlet in the mid plate matches up with the outlet barb on the top plate - i've seen someone switch it around before and wonder why there was no flow in his loop :beer:

LOL! that musta been terrible to have happen.

Back