• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active northbridge cooling on Allendale/Conroe systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried using an after-market active/passive cooling device for your northbridge in an attempt to push the FSB higher by cooling the northbridge.

The very first thing I did when I got my mobo was rip off the NB and slap an aftermarket cooler on that baby :p

An open die NB is strange though. Definately makes me more wary putting a lot of pressure on it.

Layback Bear said:
What is a good N/B temp. I'm at 39.4c after about 4 hours of up time. Ambiant is 26.6c
Is this good,fair, or bad?

If you can touch the heatsink on the NB your likely fine.. even if you can't you can always stick a fan on it.

First of all, is "System Temperature" the temperature of the northbridge chip? My NB's heatsink is almost too hot to touch. I really need to get a fan on it.

if you use speedfan, the first reading is the northbridge, the second is the cpu. This board does not have a 3rd probe so that reading is null (and fluctuates greatly if you have it enabled). There was a thread on asus support forums that showed how you should setup your speedfan config to get the right readings on your p5w dh.

As far as the northbridge goes, I replaced the tim with as5, and have a fan blowing on it. I should probably get an aftermarket cooler but I am going to see how I can go with this setup first.

I can say with confidence that the DS3 system temp is NOT the NB. If it were really 35C it would not scortch the skin from your finger. Read over on XS. People have put thermal probes in the sink and it reads over 70C

I think most of the guys that do serious benching on Allendales & Connies modify the NBs cooler. I'd say it's a ritual or habit. :) I use the extreme spirit II & HR-05, both are big pimp'n.

Jame Gumb said:
I think most of the guys that do serious benching on Allendales & Connies modify the NBs cooler. I'd say it's a ritual or habit. :) I use the extreme spirit II & HR-05, both are big pimp'n.
yep both are solid chipset sinks from the reviews, o dont for get that jetjing chipset cooler as well.

Jame Gumb said:
The jing ting is slick but cost a little more. HR-05 SLI too
yea it does but then so does the microcool xe chipset cooler as well. just depends how much you want to pony up.

I just got my P5W DH and I am watercooling the NB :D First time ever that I will stoop to liquid cooling it lol.

nikhsub1 said:
I just got my P5W DH and I am watercooling the NB :D First time ever that I will stoop to liquid cooling it lol.
lol, what chipset block are you using?

MCW 30. Man I love that little block! It has barely any headloss at all, like it's not even there. Routing will be fun though with CPU, VID and NB :rolleyes: Tomorrow and Sat I will have the new system in Beast III finally!

nikhsub1 said:
MCW 30. Man I love that little block! It has barely any headloss at all, like it's not even there. Routing will be fun though with CPU, VID and NB :rolleyes: Tomorrow and Sat I will have the new system in Beast III finally!
did i miss the project log with pics?

The cooling solution Asus has on the NB\CPU pwn is pretty decent. I had a 40mm fan attatched to the NB sink on my P5W DH, but ended up removing it.

For me the problem is that the rightmost heatpipe on the botton of my Big Typhoon has only a centimeter or two of clearence. I really do think my NB temperature is holding me back. :mad:

Back