• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus PC Probe detecting MB temps = Northbridge or chipset temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
behling said:
wat does Asus Pc probe imply? northbridge/chipset/southbridge temps?

I thought it displayed CPU temps only... Oh no! I see what you're saying. The quote/unquote "motherboard" temp.

Damned if I know what part of the motherboard it is. I would imagine they're talking about the North Bridge. But they could be talking about the north poll and Santa Claus for all I know.

My money's on the North Bridge though.

At least my experience on two different Asus boards proof that their design engineer sometimes got overly creative especially putting those extra sensors. ! :D

Got mine (p5ld2-vm dh) after few detective works and found out that MB sensor is under or at least near my NB chip, while my friend with other type of Asus board forget what series but it is LGA775, that MB spot is somewhere around the DDR2 socket. Cute & funny huh ? :confused:

Ok, bout the detective work is really easy, fire up your Speedfan and change to "Charts" view and just click to enable what ever temp. sensors you have there to start the tracing, and wait until those charts get stabilized and leave the CPU idle or don't run anything.

Now, next is the exciting part, I used hair dryer either in cold or hot air mode will be fine, just spray around mobo until you see changes or fluctation at that MB temp chart & voila you got that MB sport ! Silly eh ?

My pal used a small 40mm cooling fan, while its on, he sort of slowly moving that fan and hovering across the mobo to find that MB spot. Well, actually I believed we looked like a m*ron when we did that ! LOL

Last edited:
hi'
I use an Asus mobo, and lately I reset my all system to a very clean state, and I wanted to try this asus probe, cpu temp obvious source ;)
for the mothe board, after checking, it's the nothbridge that is measured
and so far I never get over 32°C ;)

francois

i686 said:
hi'
I use an Asus mobo, and lately I reset my all system to a very clean state, and I wanted to try this asus probe, cpu temp obvious source ;)
for the mothe board, after checking, it's the nothbridge that is measured
and so far I never get over 32°C ;)

francois

unforunately i live asia where the humidity is high and the average room temp is around 30 degrees. so my MB temps are always 45~47 w/o airconditioning. but when i on my aircondition, my CPU temp is 24 at idle and mobo temps at 41. just wondering will it damange my MOBO with these temps?.

hi'
I lived in asia for years and so many times I had temp alert from cpu ...
obliged to work open case and even sometimes with a fan toward the case :(
40°C and 90% humd is hot, here in EU, the highest temp indoor was this summer at 24°, and then the mobo goes to 31°, when quite normal, 21/22°, I'm in the range of 26°c and cpu idle 29°, this after
changing case and set it up with a lot of air circulating inside, nothing fancy, 1 120mm front intake, 1 90 mm intake(side case), and i 120mm exhaust in the back ;)
the case in large enough for all the air to flow easy ;)

i686

ps;Ishould change details on my sig :)

Back