Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.
Forum Jump

Extra "Line Out" and "Mic In" on Front Case Panel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 05:26 PM Thread Starter   #1
tech0
Registered

Question Extra "Line Out" and "Mic In" on Front Case Panel

Hello,

I've got a replacement for my onboard AC'97 -- Creative SB Audigy SE. I know, it's cheap and low-end, but damn, it's waaay better than AC'97! And there was no point in getting something more serious as my sound system is at amateur level... But let's come back to the topic: I was wondering if it's possible to somehow "link" those extra "Line Out" and "Mic In" ports on the front case panel with my currend sound card? It would be much better as I'll soon start to hate crawling under the desk to disconnect my 2.1 and connect headphones with microphone.

Is there some way to make my life easier?

Thank you in advance!

tech0 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-10-06, 10:00 PM   #2
Pntgrd

10 Year Badge

Harddrives --------- 300g Velociraptor, WD6400AAKSx2 Matrix Raid, 74g Raptor, 7200.10 500g
Graphics Card ----- Sapphire HD4870 CF
Soundcard ----------X-Fi Platinum
Case --------------- HSPC Top-Deck
PowerSupply ------- Corsair TX750
Cooling -------------Watercooled
Pntgrd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-06, 10:51 AM   #3
hanzalo

what kind of connections do the front panel ports have? on my case there just 1/8 inch cables and i run them out of an empty pci slot and plug them into my soundcard
hanzalo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-06, 10:57 AM   #4
telexen

If I'm correctly reading what you're asking for, there should basically be a set of wires going to a header on the motherboard for those front panel audio ports. It should be as simple as taking them out, and putting them to the same thing located on the sound card.
telexen is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-12-06, 11:38 AM   #5
Pntgrd

10 Year Badge

Quote:
It should be as simple as taking them out, and putting them to the same thing located on the sound card.
Unfortunately, If you have an Audigy of an X-Fi that is NOT the case. They do not have the same 10 pin (5x2) plug on them that say a motherboard has. It has a long row of pins along the top of the card (see my post above). Some of the later cases have added extra wires coming from the plug to use in case the pin-out is not standard, like Soundblasters. You have to connect each wire seperately to the correct pin on the soundcard (again, see my post above). Another option is there are places, Ebay for example, that you can find a "patch" cable that has the correct plugs on each end.

Harddrives --------- 300g Velociraptor, WD6400AAKSx2 Matrix Raid, 74g Raptor, 7200.10 500g
Graphics Card ----- Sapphire HD4870 CF
Soundcard ----------X-Fi Platinum
Case --------------- HSPC Top-Deck
PowerSupply ------- Corsair TX750
Cooling -------------Watercooled
Pntgrd is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Display and Sound Technology > Sound Systems & Audio Devices
Sound Systems & Audio Devices Including sound cards, speakers and other audio devices.