• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 4400+ OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Precision

3Dmark Team Member
I am a total overclocking n00b. So basically here is what i have

AMD X2 4400+
ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 RAM

Here is what i see in here. People are OCing this processor to 2.68! How do i get it there is what i want to know basically? Like what voltage? What multiplier?What should i set my RAM at to make sure i dont toast it? Where should the FSB be set at? and anything else i might need to know for this motherboard and processor combo.

THANKS GUYS!!

Last edited:
I honestly recomend reading first, the A64 101 thread (very useful information in there) and then the Overclocking the A64, easy as 1,2,3 thread. That will tell you everything you need to know about OC'ing your chip

Oh, btw. :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to the forums :)

Hey! Thanks for the welcome :) I just read the 2 posts you mentioned.. and well...... to say the least I am even more confused :bang head I kept seeing things in there about the HTT. Is that what mine labels as "Hyper Transport Frequency"? If so it goes from (auto) 1 2 3 4 5X. I also noticed there is something called the HT voltage in my BIOS. Basically i was hoping that SOMEONE had done an OC on the same board and CPU since they seem to be pretty popular. I just got this and I always had Old socket A motherboards. Where it was pretty straight simple (at least the way I did it) Multiplier and FSB. Was all I really ever had to worry about. I am just SO lost right now its not even funny. :bang head I feel like a total idiot even asking anything because someone will have an explaination, and there will be one part that i don't know what it is, and I'll be asking again :rolleyes: What exactly they are talking about. So to alot of people those would be a great help. But for me.. I'm not totally stupid but I am REALLY new to this. So if anyone has a simple way to explain what exactly i need to mess with. (or if someone out there has the same setup OCed) I'd really be greatful for the assistance.
Thanks Again

EDIT
Also there is a setting in my BIOS of T1/T2 memory timimg, I have no idea what that is either :(

Last edited:
HTT is labeled as CPU frequency on some boards or FSB by Intel and some people. The numbers you are talking about (Auto,1,2,3,4,5) is labeled as LDT on most board. LDT is the IO transport frequency to your chip set. Set it to 4x un until you reach about 255HTT then drop it to 3X until you pass 275. Overrunning the LDT may/will cause networking and.or video problams. Most people will drop LDT to 2X or 3X while finding their highest HTT.

He just wants to know if there is anyone that can tell him the correct FSB, Multiplier, and Voltage his should be at for a 2.6GHz overclock.

well if i had to guess ( doesnt usaly help with over clocks )
10x260 with ltd @ 3 ram @ what ever divider will keep your ram in spec/working for Value ram mabe @ 166 . and voltage maybe 1.4-1.5v( Idont like recomonding more than 1.5)

or 11x240 around the same voltage

Well i started messing around and managed to get a 2.55 from it by running
CPU frequency = 255
Multiplier = 10X
CPU voltage = 1.5
RAM at = 333 (vs 400 standard)
LDT= 3X
and my ram is running at 212 MHz as apposed to the 200 standard.

Now with me getting a 2.55 clock from this. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else i can change to make this still run stable at a higher clock? (I tried 11X multilier and it wouldn't boot) One thing i don't THINK i can change is the FSB: DRAM divider. If i can i don't know what setting it is. Right now it is at CPU/12.

Any suggestions as to how i can make it higher? (as i see ||Console|| is getting 2.75 with 11 multilier which i can't seem to make work)

HT voltage is chipset voltage which some people use to up speed to the video card. Currently your harddrives, USB and other ports on the southbridge have al the bandwidth they need. You currently have your LDt at 3X which is about 765 each direction. This is under the 1000 it is rated for so I see no reason to raise chipset(HT) voltage. Let's assume you have a solid stable system (Nice OC BTW). If you raise the LDT to 4X, this will move the HT/Clipset buss to 255x4 = 1020 you would be close enought to spec. But lets assume you find some more umph out of your chip and get to 270 on the CPU Freq then the HT would now rise to 1080. It boots fine but then when you fire up a video or game you start seeing problems then you might consider raising the HT voltage. I see no need to up the chipset voltage just leave it stock, none of the people I talk with have raised it.

Precision said:
Well i started messing around and managed to get a 2.55 from it by running
CPU frequency = 255
Multiplier = 10X
CPU voltage = 1.5
LDT= 3X
and my ram is running at 212 MHz as apposed to the 200 standard.

Now with me getting a 2.55 clock from this. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else i can change to make this still run stable at a higher clock? (I tried 11X multilier and it wouldn't boot) One thing i don't THINK i can change is the FSB: DRAM divider. If i can i don't know what setting it is. Right now it is at CPU/12.

Any suggestions as to how i can make it higher? (as i see ||Console|| is getting 2.75 with 11 multilier which i can't seem to make work)
Try changing that to:
CPU frequency = 233
Multiplier = 11X
CPU voltage = 1.5
RAM at = 333 (for now - what are your RAM timings?)
LDT= 4X

Your RAM probably won't run at 233 without changing the stock timings a little. If you post your stock timings (should show up on CPU-Z) then we can figure it out. Or you can research your RAM and find out what others have done with it ...

I left all teh settings the same for now so people do not get confused trying to help me. Only thing i did bump up was teh LDT to 4x (for now) i wanted to let you guys all see these before i start messing with stuff and complicate/confuse the situation .So here it is again exactly how i have it set

CPU frequency = 255
Multiplier = 10X
CPU voltage = 1.5
LDT= 4x
(I did try your settings QuietIce and it took my RAM down to like 175, and my CPU did go up a little,But i changed it back as to not confuse anyone trying to help me get this bad boy up over 2.6 :D )

If you look at this you will see it says "slot1" I know this is standard but, yeah my memory in slot1 and 2 are the same thing. Thanks for the compliment on the OC :D This is the first X2 OR 64 bit for that matter CPU i owned. I had an AMD barton running at 2.4 totally stable. Anyways, back to the point. I am really new to this and heard this place has a superior reputation for OCing :D Once i learn a bit more maybe I will be able to assist someone with something :) Hope so, Thanks for all the help and here is Screens of the CPUZ.. the memory ones.

cpuz_SPD.jpg
cpuz_memory.jpg

P.S Remember to use some "dummy" terms when trying to help me out here as I am a n00b to some of the terminology of the whole OCing ;)

Last edited:
Well you have the basics from here it is mostly just trial and error .A good idea might be to make a sig . you looked @ mine and used it to reference somthing that way we can know what you have and get better help.

236x11 = 2596

Since your stock RAM timings are 3-3-3-8 you might try:
CPU frequency = 233
Multiplier = 11X
CPU voltage = 1.5
RAM at = 400 @ 3-4-4-8 (or maybe 4-4-4-8)
LDT= 4x

If that works push the "CPU frequency" on up to 236, 237, 238. A64's really prefer to have the RAM at 1:1 (400 on your board) ...

Last edited:
This is what i got out of it now. If I am not mistake for my RAM to run at 400 the frequency should be exactly 200MHz. But I am pretty sure i cannot change the cpu/14 on the page here unless i change the multiplier or the Computer frequency. And as far as changing the RAM timings there are quite a few settings as far as going from 3T to 4T and so on. So if you look at these CPU-Z screens you will be able to tell what i changed. My one question is... Would i be better off leaving my clock a little lower so i can have my RAM run at the 212 as it was in the first screen shots? Or is it better to leave it there? (188.6) and have a higher CPU speed? also i am going to look in my BIOS right now and post how they are in there right now in case i can change a few things to make it better.

I want to say thank you very much for all of the help I am getting from all of you. It's a great thing to have such nice people who will not rag on me for not knowing everything about this. So thanks to ALL of you at OC forums. I will be putting a affiliate on our Counter Strike Source team page. (www.teamasp.org) And the post below this will have what i see in my BIOS as far as the RAM.

cpuz_memory2.jpg
cpuz_cpu.jpg

Here is a digital camera pic of my BIOS as far as what i can do with my RAM i saw you were saying about changing some of those timings and running it at 400 not 333 (which i have to do right now for it to boot up) which of these settings should be changed to run it at 400?
100_0287.jpg

Thank again guys for helping me out it's rare to find such nice, and willing people out there to help without ridiculing me or insulting me as if I were stupid. Fact of the matter is I am teaching myself. And with the help here THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!

Try changing that screen to read:

Manual
8T
4T
4T
n/c (no change)
n/c
n/c
n/c
1T

If that doesn't work try:

Manual
and everything else as above.

You may have to raise your vDimm (RAM voltage) to 2.8v (or even 2.85v but that's on you). I've run mine as high as 2.9v but I don't recommend anything above 2.8v - you have to take your own chances. ;)

I don't see the vDimm on this screen - on my board it's with the CPU settings ...

Ok if will post the pics of my other BIOS settings tomorrow as to make SURE I am doing this right. (I would do it now but my fiance' is sleeping right here close and i KNOW the camera would wake her. Guys who have helped me here should read http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=472700 It is all the truth no BS and im not just some loser with no friends sucking up i really mean it ALL. Thanks will post PICS of other BIOS settings ASAP. Think maybe my BIOS are too old? they are "10/21/05-NF-CK804-A8nSLI-p-00" That is what Sisoftware Sandra 2007 says anyways.(something else im new to the new Sandra. I always ran the 2004 (i think) or 2005. I know that would be REALLY new BIOS for a socket A but 939 I don't know about. Also i know the newest isnt ALWAYS the best (take ATI CCS and drivers for example)

I will say going from socket A to 939 is a real mind blower. I am starting to understand how the dual CPU's work (at least i think) thanks to all of you :D As socket A's are VERY simple. And it was good enough for me. well, it still was but i wanted more :)

Ok QuietIce i went with your first settings and it boots up with the RAM running 240MHz. I can't do the second setting it will only let it at 3. Do you think this is too much for my RAM? I did have the same RAM 2X512 DDR 400 PLUS i had a stick of 256 DDR 333(same RAM except speed) running at 400 with the 2X512. This was on a socket A board which im sure is totaly different but if the 333 speed of the same RAM could handle an OC to 400. Do you think that the 400 running at whatever 240MHz would be.. Is going to hurt it? Also, what is the BEST stability test i can run and understand pretty simple. I tried prime95 and didnt click the register or join.. whatever it was and now it will run but it realy gives me no info other than 0 errors and 0 "problems" i think is what it says. And when i fire it up all over again it doesnt ask me to login or register with whatever that server is.

those timings do not work for me prime95 crashes in about 35 seconds So i either run 2.64 with RAM under by 12 MHz of i run 2.55 with ram OVER by 12 MHz. ? is which will give me better performance?

CPU speed is more important for performance than RAM speed.

If the CPU was Prime95 stable at 2640 (240x11) before you changed the RAM timings then you're better off leaving it there and dropping the RAM back down to the 333 setting. But if you didn't check for Prime95 stability at 2640 before changing the RAM timings then it could be you've gone over the CPU limit for that voltage.

However, if the CPU will run stable at 240x11 it should also run stable at 264x10. With the CPU at 264x10 and the RAM divider at 333 you should have a RAM speed of 220. It all depends on what your "top end" is for both CPU and RAM - the top ends are (more or less) independent of each other.

BTW - Changing the RAM timings won't hurt your RAM in any way - only the vDimm can hurt the RAM if it's set too high. Speaking of which, have you changed the RAM voltage (vDimm) to 2.8v yet ...?

Last edited:
Back