• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice pls: Is it worth moving from a X800gto2 to an X1800xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zero cool

Hi, looking for a bit of advice please. Ok the story so far I currently have an X800gto2 which I can run at (534,594) but it can get a little hot. I have just installed an ac5 cooler instead of the stock one so hopefully that will help. Chip is an R480 and the 16 pipelines are unlocked.

Now I have just found what I think may be a very good offer for a connect3d X1800xt card (256 Mb not 512 Mb in case that makes a diff). Now the thing is I don't have a lot of free cash (who does) so what I want to know is would this be a good upgrade or should I wait and get a better card further down the line and stick with my X800gto2 for the time being. The last card I had before the X800 for an 9600 so obviously that move gave me an impressive upgrade. I have no idea what kind of performance improvment I could expect from the X800gto2 to the X1800xt. So if anyone has any advice/opinions etc it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Last edited:
just volt mod the x800gto, if it explodes then you have a good excuse to go buy the x1800xt

however a good deal can make all the difference how much can you get it for?

Well, there are several things to consider. Price is one. Features is another, such as Shader Model 3.0, HDR, Pixel Shader 3.0, etc. Clocks as well, but you can usually overclock anything now.
Last but not least, DX10. If you want DX10, then wait.

If clocks are serving you well and on top of that you just installed a new cooler I'd say at least wait 6 months, then on that by then either the X1900's will be just as cheap as the X1800XT's are now or you could land yourself a little extra cash and get the DX10 cards and be set for even longer. But thats all considering if you plan on upgrading to Vista and playing any of the DX10 games that might come out within the next year or more. If not then the X1800XT might just infact serve you well for a while but I'd say a 512Meg version might be better suiting then a 256Meg expecially with its power and the games these days.

Back