• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Microsoft flight simulator X demo download!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeahhhh! finally...

awww, crap.
my X45 is more than a thousand miles away, and ... i can solve that with a trip to wallmart. they must have a joystick or two out there for cheap...

it seems to me that the parelells between FS9 and XP - and Vista and FSX are the whole thing about more eye candy...

meanwhile, my download wont finish till 1:00am...
horray for demos!

Meh...

Downloaded it, installed it, ran it.. other than the improved cockpit interface (which is nice, BTW) I didn't notice all that much improvement over FS2004.

Scenery is still blocky and lacks detail, airplane details show incremental improvement and the views were better in FS2004. Resource consumption is way up and the UI changes don't really improve the experience all that much.

The demo certainly didn't inspire me to "upgrade" from FS2004; let's see if they do a bit better in the beta versions...

Arca_ex said:
Umm, is there anywhere better to download it?

I'm getting 280KB/sec when my connection is 760KB/sec...
im gettin 230k =/

BTW, anyone know how i could get my 360 controller to work wit my puter? :D

Umm, that was horrible.

Maybe the final version will be a multi threaded application, because I was using 100% CPU on CPU #1 out of four logical CPU's, 10 FPS is a horrible expierience.

wow.
im kinda glad that i lost the download.

i was getting 30kb on a 256...
and crashed a few times.
i could only imagine my framerate with this hardware... (at stock this evening because something is dying)

d94 said:
im gettin 230k =/

BTW, anyone know how i could get my 360 controller to work wit my puter? :D

If its a corded controller it should just plug in... with maybe some drivers for it. But if its wireless i think you are out of luck at this poit, I dont think microsoft has released the wireless pc adapeter yet.

i just still can't believe the demo is multi threaded, I've been dying for a flight sim game.

So is the one thats out now (FS2004) a multi threaded application? if it's not there is no way I will be able to play it lol. Pent EE 965=4 threads :D

I don't know what you guys where talking about my CPU's was maxed and was getting 26FPS. But the graphics where finicy and crapped out just shortly after. I then procedded to uninstall it.

Well with my CPU, I have four threads, two cores with hyperthreading=4 right. Since it's not multithreaded it uses 100% of logical core #1 out of 4. So basically my 965 at 4 GHz was being used 25% and I was getting 11 FPS max on low to medium settings.

The graphics are decent if you turn everything up. I'm running 1280*1024 w/ everything max and it feels smooth for me.
I hope the full game will be less of a resource hog though...

I maxed all the graphics out just to see what it looks like and it looks NOTHING like the screen shots. The water looks ok but the terrain looks like as low res textures as you can use and the buildings look like they just dropped a lot of those little monopoly houses on the terrain.

Does it automatically just drop detail level to maintain a certain framerate? Or was that as good as it gets? Cause I was looking at N64 quality graphics.

BTW, I flew for like 29 minutes approaching the island landing only for this. What a waste of time. Note the ultra realistic grass and crash debris.

missionfailed.jpg

FastRedPonyCar said:
I maxed all the graphics out just to see what it looks like and it looks NOTHING like the screen shots. The water looks ok but the terrain looks like as low res textures as you can use and the buildings look like they just dropped a lot of those little monopoly houses on the terrain.

Does it automatically just drop detail level to maintain a certain framerate? Or was that as good as it gets? Cause I was looking at N64 quality graphics.

BTW, I flew for like 29 minutes approaching the island landing only for this. What a waste of time. Note the ultra realistic grass and crash debris.

Well, no duh. It's a friggin' demo. And, it's on DX9. This game was designed for DX10, and then they went "Oh, gee, let's make this DX9 too". Is it gonna look like the DX10 screenshots? Hell no. Plus, why the hell is everyone getting such crap performance? I run medium-high at 20-35 FPS. With bloom.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Well, no duh. It's a friggin' demo. And, it's on DX9. This game was designed for DX10, and then they went "Oh, gee, let's make this DX9 too". Is it gonna look like the DX10 screenshots? Hell no. Plus, why the hell is everyone getting such crap performance? I run medium-high at 20-35 FPS. With bloom.
Mine will be done in 8 minutes @ 800KB. Then I will see how the performance is.
BTW- Are you running this game on Linux? If so, HOW??? I always wanted to run Linux on my main rig, but I still wanted to play all the games!

Back