• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need answers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I got 2 mobos down and I'm trying to figure out why.

I've got the WC-202 which came with every mounting bracket imaginable. Worked fine on my socket A. But when I tried to mount it on a 775 (back plate, CPU, block, front plate), it shorted the board. So they gave me a new one and tested it with my CPU and the Intel fan. Worked fine. Got it home, put the WC-202 bracket on... shorted the board.

My question is how could this be possible? Am I twisting down on the clamps too hard and crushing the CPU socket? Is the rear bracket touching something it shouldn't?

Should I be seeking compensation for damages?

Advice would be appreciated.

If their backing plate is made out of metal I would recommend just using nylon washers instead. Or switch back to a plastic backing plate if you have one.

Yes, their backing plate is made of metal. You think it's that? Because I couldn't have POSSIBLY been more careful with screwing down the block the second time around.

I did the same with a metal backplate. But my board is still alive and good as new. :shrug: It just wouldn't post only while it was being shorted. I just stick a piece of paper in between the backplate and mobo to prevent that now.

Gautam said:
I did the same with a metal backplate. But my board is still alive and good as new. :shrug: It just wouldn't post only while it was being shorted. I just stick a piece of paper in between the backplate and mobo to prevent that now.
I would still be worried about the solder points poking through.

i used a few coats layers of electrical tape on mine when i ran it. i had to use that bracket on my 754 buld. i just tapes over the the whole back whare the mounting bracket touches then poked it through the electrical tape.

Now why the hell am I only finding this out now? You would think this was a pretty big deal. If I had known or even IMAGINED it was the backplate I could've prevented all this.

Gautaum I have both a 775DUAL-VSTA and a DS3 down.

Life is a cruel mistress...

Back