• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 socket 478 temp ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RC3

Registered
What temperature should a p4 1.7GHz socket 478 cpu have ?

My cpu idle temperature is about 56.C aint that to hot for idle ?
When loaded its about 70~C Igot the same temp even if you get my chassi temp down to in 20~C out 25~C.

ASUS P4T-E
ENERMAX 550W
Promise SuperTrack
8x IBM 7200.RPM Harddrives
7x80mm fans 3intake/4out
And intels boxed heatsink/fan

Could something be wrong with my system or is 55-70~C normal ?

Thanx....

That sounds pretty high, check the mounting of the heatsink to the cpu, it may need to be reseated to get proper contact.

ButcherUK said:
That sounds pretty high, check the mounting of the heatsink to the cpu, it may need to be reseated to get proper contact.

Ive done that... im planing to insert one of my digitaldoc5 sensors under the heatsink so I can get a exakt temperature. If the mainboard aint got the real temperature right...cuase I dont think its so hot.

P4s have an internal diode sensor, if it says it;s a temp it pretty much is that temp... What sort of thermal interface did you use? a pad or grease? If it's a pad and you've had the hsf off since installation that could be the reason.

ButcherUK said:
P4s have an internal diode sensor, if it says it;s a temp it pretty much is that temp... What sort of thermal interface did you use? a pad or grease? If it's a pad and you've had the hsf off since installation that could be the reason.

Its a pad... Hmm but I didnt understand what did you say could had happend to my pad ?

Should I remove the pad and add some grease ?

pad's only work once, if you've had the heatsink on with a pad then removed it and refit it then it'll cool badly - you have to replace the pad. The way to do it is to take the pad off the hatsink with a razor then clean any remaining off with acetone (or lap it off, this is better). Also clean the cpu with acetone, then use some decent thermal grease such as arctic silver.

Also, What are you using to read temps? Since there are different temp chips with different calibrations, it's possible that if you're using an older version of software, it's not reading the (possibly) newer version temp sensor chip. P4s do have onboard diodes, so they're pretty right on, but if there was a divisor that's supposed to be put on there or something, that'd make sense. Also, yes, get rid of the pad. I'd recommend lapping it off as they're made of wax and pretty much impossible to get all the way off with a razor and acetone.
peace
John

Back