• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Foxconn C51XEM2AA owners???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bensonjv

Just ordered this board with an X2 4000+. Curious for those that have it, overall impressions. Also, what mods, if any, you did with regards to cooling improvements.

Sinks, fans, AS5 under the chipsets, etc.

Last edited:
Got parts in last night and starting assembling. Now I'm working out the kinks. Current issue is cold boot hang. When I cold boot the PC, it hangs. The board POST code shows "--". If I hit the reset button it will initialize and then start up fine.

Ideas?

I've poked my MB with a stick and still can't figure out what the deal is. I predict that this board will become a hot OC'r for AM2 so I'll sit tight until some others get one and run into the same issue.

i had the same problem
if it shows ( mac address )
and a twirling line

the boards bios does not like that hard drive
switch it out for a wd caviar or a samsung spinpoint hard drive

vulcanman09 said:
i had the same problem
if it shows ( mac address )
and a twirling line

the boards bios does not like that hard drive
switch it out for a wd caviar or a samsung spinpoint hard drive

What HDD doesn't the board like?

Thanks for the reply. I wondered about that (hard drive issue). Except I've cycled 3 different drives through (as C:\) and for each the board responded the same. 2 were ATA133 and another was SATA B'Cuda. Going to see if there is a BIOS update.

Its not anything I worry about per se. More of an annoyance right now.

it`s not the hard drive does not like the board
it is the motherboards bios does not like the hard drive`s
firm ware

the bios is very picky
only the wd caviar se or any of the samsung drives
have not heard anything about seagate drives though

if you have an old 80 gig sata seagate drive
try that one
if you still get the mac address screen

then you are best to go with a samsung drive
i have never had any issues with these drives

yah i had same problem.. and i also started assymbling last night.. luckly my machine got to bois one time after reseting CMOS.. then it never came up again.. the guy at foxconn said that the problem is the 8-pin near the cpu slot. He said to try it with a diffrent power supply and see if it works.. i was about to ask, is it bad if you use 2 powersupplies for 1 machine.. just one slot?

"it`s not the hard drive does not like the board
it is the motherboards bios does not like the hard drive`s
firm ware"

I've tried starting it up without a HD set up.. still no POST.. or POST error..

I have that mobo and it's freak'n awesome. Solid as a rock. Foxconn has really gotten better the last couple of years. CPU mag built a really mean machine using it. It's also quiet as a mouse.

Update: Turned out to be an issue with a DVD-ROM. I bought an OEM unit and took a while to get a version of burning software. For some reason the MB didn't like the firmware only. Once I installed (Roxio) the problems ceased.

It doesn't hang anymore so problem effectively solved.

I do have to deal with a lengthy boot time though. I think there are two reasons for that. First is that my boot disk is an IDE drive. Then I have a separate IDE controller in a PCI slot running a couple more IDE drives for storage. Finally I have 2 SATA drive in a RAID mirror that are also for storage/backups. Between the slower IDE boot drive and having to spin up the others, the system takes up to 3 minutes to boot to where I can start applications. When I'm done being a cheapskate I may upgrade the boot disk to SATA and see how that helps.

bensonjv said:
Update: Turned out to be an issue with a DVD-ROM. I bought an OEM unit and took a while to get a version of burning software. For some reason the MB didn't like the firmware only. Once I installed (Roxio) the problems ceased.

It doesn't hang anymore so problem effectively solved.

I do have to deal with a lengthy boot time though. I think there are two reasons for that. First is that my boot disk is an IDE drive. Then I have a separate IDE controller in a PCI slot running a couple more IDE drives for storage. Finally I have 2 SATA drive in a RAID mirror that are also for storage/backups. Between the slower IDE boot drive and having to spin up the others, the system takes up to 3 minutes to boot to where I can start applications. When I'm done being a cheapskate I may upgrade the boot disk to SATA and see how that helps.

I have an IDE boot drive and my computer boots fast. Maybe your PCI slot running other IDE drivers is the culprit.

You are probably right then. Since NAT boxes seem to be fairly reasonable these days I might pull the drives and put them in their own enclosure. I speed up boot times and still have network access to the drives.

Back