• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with connecting two lcds at different resolutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gusdagoos

I have a 17" lcd monitor and a 32" lcd/tv and want to hook both up to my computer by VGA at differnet resolutions since each one looks better at a certain resolution. My question is do i need to by a video card with two VGA connections and will that allow me to set them at different resolutions? What other options do i have? Thanks for the help everyone.

the native resolution should automaticly be detected if your using DVI....or allow you to simply change the resolution. VGA should also allow you to do this also. Your video card probably has one DVI and one VGA output port...I would hookup your 17" LCD with the DVI and the TV with the VGA and set each resolution respectively.

Also are you trying to run extended desktop or just clone the signal so both monitors are the same?

First off thanks for the quick response ajrettke. My video card only has a vga and a s-cable so im pretty much looking to buy a cheap video card to hook both up if thats the best thing i can do. You were saying if i had a dvi port to buy a converter for the vga cable? So now my question is should i buy a card with dual vga or with a vga and dvi and get a converter? I really dont know if i want to extend or clone my desktop i really dont care i just want each one to look good and the only way for that is for the resolutions to be set for each.

ahh, well I would get a card with a VGA and DVI if not both DVI (if thier both DVI it will come with 2 adapters), there it's only a good thing to have the DVI port.

ok that sounds like a good idea. So having DVI adapters gives me the same quiality as VGA and i wouldnt lose out? Anything under 50 dollars i can get with 128mb. Only game i really play is guild wars. thanks

Thanks for the idea Darkcow but my video card is ****ty now so ill just get a new one under 50 that is decent but now im gonna have to figure out the best i can get for that much.

Just an update. Got a crappy video card with dual vga and im trying to clone them but ill set the right resolution for one and then it limits me to what i can set the other monitor for some reason. Any tips?

Back