• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rainless' E6400 (and foot) Return Monday

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Well I'm all set to pick up another Asrock board on Mondaywhile I'm waiting for my DS3 to come back from Gigabyte on Monday.

For those that didn't hear I was the victim of lousy directions from Evercool, a broken foot, a lost key for a week, locusts, and a mysterious prancing German named "Hans."

I doubt if my foot will be back up to even THIRTY percent in the ten days the doctor said it would take. But the swelling's gone. I also hope to have a cleaner apartment.

In a way it would have been a shame to skip right over the Asrock and go onto the DS3 because, to tell you the truth, I liked the Asrock board a LOT. I can't say I've ever used a budget board before, but in terms of the quality of the components, it TOMMY GUNS the DS3. From the visual presentation of the bios to the components available on the PCB, the difference is really rather astonishing. I highly recommened to anybody that has 50 bucks to throw away on a backup board to buy one of these things if only just to look at it next to a DS3.

...but we all know what the DS3 was. I barely had my system up long enough to look at it let alone do any overclocking. So another two weeks from monday and I should be back in the swing of things with that too (and hopefully a foot that's at LEAST up to 50 percent by then.)

I did get a chance to run some benchmarks on the Asrock with the E6400 though, and what I can tell you about the chip is that it's fast, fast, FAST. I've never seen windows load so quickly in all my life. Pi scores were impressive even at stock speeds. And much of the talk about the slow AGP speed on the Asrock was exaggerated. Aquamark showed only a drop of about 50 or 100 points out of 2000 or so on my 9600 Pro. I can't wait to test PCIexpress speeds on the DS3 versus the Asrock.

A shame as I had so many great video card deals lined up before that bizarre series of accidents (Turns out there was a full moon! Haha!) Hopefully with all the DX10 cards coming soon it will be much easier (and cheaper) to snag a 7600gs.

I've been a bit out of the loop because I started posting here as a peer and didn't feel like I should continue to do so from a PDA. But starting Monday I'll start catching up on all the threads and hopefully be caught up on the latest goings on by the end of the week.

Miss you guys!!

Rainless

If I had the money to get a spair Asrock and the DS3... I would just go ahead and get the Asus P5B-Deluxe instead.

greenmaji said:
If I had the money to get a spair Asrock and the DS3... I would just go ahead and get the Asus P5B-Deluxe instead.

Yeah I've heard all this 500 FSB stuff.. I could always sell both of them and get a P5B Deluxe. When the dust clears I'll have a wholllllllle lot of options.

I've been staring at my P5W DH for a week now,and it's a damn fine looking board. Tons of featires, and should hopefully provide that rock solid stability Asus is known for.

BUT, the ds3 is still a very nice board, especially for the price. I'm hearing it oc's better too. I diddnt think i would need the extra fsb though, since the 6700 has a 10x multi.

it's a toss up, really.

oh, and dude, get better allreade haha.

mr. roboto said:
I've been staring at my P5W DH for a week now,and it's a damn fine looking board. Tons of featires, and should hopefully provide that rock solid stability Asus is known for.

BUT, the ds3 is still a very nice board, especially for the price. I'm hearing it oc's better too. I diddnt think i would need the extra fsb though, since the 6700 has a 10x multi.

it's a toss up, really.

oh, and dude, get better allreade haha.

I have both boards in use aswell. The DS3 overclocks aswell or better then P5W DH. However the DS3 cannot compare in terms of features like RAID.

Yeah I've been out of the loop for a while as you guys know, what else has been going on? Anybody got any links or anything? I remember Andatech had a whole series going on the Asrock board.

There's NO way you can compare the layout of the P5W DH to the DS3. I mean FORGET IT. The Asrock is better constructed in my opinion. I've seen all these boards side-by-side (and blown up two of them :) ) and it's really amazing. If I had the cash I'd definately get a P5B Deluxe. The DQ6 has an even more impressive layout... but there goes that old Gigabyte incompetence. Hopefully the Asus/Giga merger will help them get their act together.

I'm pretty sure that the DS3s overclocking abilities were an accident. Nobody expected much from the board before it was released. It was only after the high FSB reports that anybody gave it the time of day.

Still I'll have some fun with it for a week or two before I sell it. Run a couple of 400 FSB benches and then off you go. But now I must clean my room.

Back