• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Irritating Boot Menu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheLiberalTruth

Registered
Today I reformatted my laptop and reinstalled windows, however now, when it starts up, it gives me a boot menu. I have to choose between two installations of WinXP, which wouldn't be a problem, except I only have XP installed once. Does anyone know a way to keep it from bothering me with that boot menu? I've reformatted the laptop probably 4 or 5 times in its 4 year life, but it's never given me this crap. It really doesn't impede my ability to use the machine, but it's %&*#ing annoying.
Thanks,
TLT

just for future ref go control panel ----->system settings ----->adavance tab----> startup & recovery _----->settings -----Tab then choose your chooses but be careful as not to disable the wrong thing.

Another way is to fix the MBR with the install disc.

It is safe and easy.

Here is a quick guide lifted off askbobrankin.com. I am lazy to type it all out tonight. :D
  1. Restart your computer with the Windows XP Setup disk in the CDROM drive.
  2. If you are prompted to press a key to start the computer from CDROM, do so quickly. Otherwise it may try to boot from the hard drive.
  3. After a few minutes, you'll see a prompt to press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
  4. When Recovery Console starts, it will prompt you to enter a number corresponding to the Windows XP installation that you need to repair. In most cases, you'll enter "1" (which will be the only choice). If you press ENTER without typing a number, Recovery Console will quit and restart your computer.
  5. Enter your Administrator password. If you don't enter the correct password, you cannot continue. [Enablingwolf's note= If your using Home Edition, you just hit enter]
  6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type fixmbr and then verify that you want to proceed.

I can only take credit for the google search and copy/paste. I was kinda lazy to type it all out. Pretty standard thing though. Works for a borked dual boot too. I used it more then once for a messed up GRUB.

Compliments are always welcome though! :D

Back