• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with OC voltages, etc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiterice

Registered
So I don't overclock much but I figured I'd give it a whirl here; I guess first here's what I've got:

Intel P4 3.0 gig, 800mhz fsb with hyper threading
DFI LanParty motherboard
1 gig Corsair Xpert dual channel DDR400
BFG GeForce 7900GTX 512mb PCIe graphics
2x 160gig sata hard drives
ultra xfinity 600 watt power supply
Koolance PC3720 water cooling case with 3/8" tubing

Long and short, I wanna overclock the CPU but I don't know what to set the voltages to, and on that note I don't know if the board is smart enough to shut the system down if the voltage is too high to prevent processor damage. At Quakecon the Intel guy cranked the voltage to max and the cpu ran fine at 4 gig on his demo machine (using a new core duo extreme) but I'm afraid to up the voltage that high going into this blind.

Any advice anyone can offer? I can up it as high as 1.95 volts, and I'm looking to go anywhere from 3.5ghz on up.

for a p4 1.55v is max period wieither on air or water. c2d at quakecon is a different beast then p4 "netburst". the c2d's can take voltage like no tomorow they are more like p3's when it comes to the volts. netburst with its massive leakage is problematic with high volts. hopefully you should be able to get 3.6ghz oc out of it with 1.55v , depends on the stepping of the cpu and if it is the new 65nm cpu vs the older 90nm. download cpu-z and post a screen shot of it.
O BTW, GET A NEW PSU PRONTO!! DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR COMPUTER WITH THAT PSU, AT ALL!!

ALSO WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!:welcome: :beer:

Last edited:
OCF talked me into buying ther OCZ monster powersupply. It is everybit worth the money. The thing weighs a ton and is rock stable.

Raising voltage will often help keep an overclocked system more stable. But, it comes at the price of also raising temps. High voltage will probably not damage a CPU if only used for a short time, however, long term high voltage can cause a CPU to degrade in time or might even kill it. You can generally do a modest O/C just using default vcore. In fact, I highly suggest trying to see how high you can go before raising voltage. Start by raising the FSB in something like 5 MHz increments. Test for stability and check temps. If all is well, try another 5 FSB, etc. When you reach a point where it's not completely stable, then bump up the vcore one notch. Test for stability and check temps again. It's a trial and error process. I would not exceed 1.6v and low to mid 50's degrees on a Northwood or 1.5v and 60 degrees on a Prescott. Run CPU-Z to see which processor you have.

Back