• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which hard drive make are best

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

articRider

Registered
i read the worst hard drive list but can only think most of it based on speculation where people have heard of certain models dying. And also the poll isn't a fair one as i'm sure there's more maxtor and seagate owners compare to say fujitsu or hitachi. I also think some of the owners may have overclocked their system so much it could have caused problems with their drives to fail earlier than antiicpated.

So what in your own experience would you call reliable?
maxtor, samsung,WD,seagate, hitachi,etc.

I use Seagate exclusively because of the reliablility of their drives and the 5 year warranty. I've never had a Seagate drive fail on me either.

Seagate +1 not only do they have a good warranty but their perpendicular recording drives are the bomb.

I have only used the Westren Digital Raptors and Seagate Cheetahs for several years now, both are excellent

Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital. No specific order, I recommend the new Seagate perp. rec. HDDs though.

I personally tend to avoid maxtor. I like WD hard drives, but I would rather have a seagate over any other hdd make.

Ive used the same barracuda for a long time(at least a year) and its 100% according to SMART. I just reecently bought a 3 WD caviar drives, and they all read as 98%

Been using WD for the last few years but I recently bought a Seagate. Will report back on whether the rumours about perpendicular drives being loud are true....

I have all hitachis and their performance is pretty sweet, I have never had a problem with maxtor although people tend to hate them I dunno why. Never owned WD either aside from a raptor...

Never bought a Seagate 'cause I thought they used to have a bad rap. At least my friend who works on comps for the military used to say that Seagates suck. I've had a Maxtor drive fail on me and a couple others that got really loud and clunky after just a year or so. I've been using WD Caviars for the past 2-3 years and no problems at all :) Haha, which reminds me...does anyone remember the Conner brand of HDDs? I had a 200MB Conner HDD that came with my first comp back in 1994 ;) I used it for YEARS (mainly storage) and ended up getting rid of it or throwing it away, but it never failed.

Western Digital mostly, but for a folding rig or a budget system I'll use a Maxtor drive.

Never had a problem with a WD drive, ever. Maxtor, I've sent 4 back in the last 2 years, normal use, single drive systems, different sizes as well.

Seagate I cannot comment on, as the only ones I've owned, were in the 4.3 gig spec, and 1 died, and the other, is still working on a Linux folding rig right now. Drive is about 7 years old too.

I own three WD drives and none have ever failed on me. The oldest one is from mid 2002. I also have a Seagate and an IBM Deskstar. The Seagate works great and it is very quiet. The Deskstar became a Deathstar. I get a clicking noise in it every time I try to fire it up. :(

Last edited:
Back