• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Conroe for $1000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adriana

looking for best complete conroe system for 1000 which includes ram, mobo, cpu, gpu, ps. gpu can be super cheap since there won't be any gaming instead of CS. case i want is about 120. been looking at conroe and ds3 seems popular but buggy

Last edited:
What exactly will the use of the computer? You can always skip on certain things for different uses :) Will you need it to run Vista? Will you need lots of RAM? How many HDD's will you be needing? Go for the 6600 though. It's just badass:santa:

Main question is do you want to OC. That will determine what you buy.

It'll be very hard to build a "quality" E6600 system for $1000. Especially one that will OC well.

Theres already a super cheap C2D system thread going. I don't know why everyone has to make a new thread asking for a complete system and giving hardly any details. One of the hundred other threads is going to cover all the information you need to know.

this is for my cuzin but he use his comp to surf the net, download, backup movies, play low end games, etc. mid to low range stuff. but i think overclock will have some part in there too, how can i leave a system at stock speed?!?! vista will not be needed nor 64 bit for now. maybe a year or two after vista is release, until they fix all the bugs. one hard drive will be good maybe a big one, and i don't think he need RAID0.

the ram looks good but any more? those g.skill look kinda nice. looking for more 2G rams.

power supply will either be silverstone or ocz powerstream.
conroe -6600
motherboard- ?
ram- 2X1GB brand?
hdd- maybe 250gb WD or any other suggestion?
gpu- maybe some low end 6600gt or 7600
case- chosen

Well its still a little tough to find E6600's, especially at SRP. Where as the 6300 and 6400's are in stock at Tankguys at good prices. If you do OC, there is no reason why one of these won't give plenty of performance for what its going to be used for.

I don't think you can pass up getting a E6300 for $200. Usually I even say go for the 6400, but since really 2.4-2.8 should be twice the power your actually going to need there is no reason to spend it on the CPU. The money is better spent somewhere else.

You could even possibly get away with the Asrock MB. Extremely cheap, will do a little OC'ing, and its got quality components from what I've read. Otherwise I think you have to go with a DS3. The P5B standard is just not worth it and moving up to $200+ for the MB I think is to much.

I'd get the seagate 320g 7200.10 for $95. If your doing lots of movie backup, 2 may even be a good idea. 600gigs gets used up fast these days, atleast for me it does.

Ram you can be fairly loose with. Since you prolly won't OC past 400 mhz, any DDR2 800 or quality 667 will do the job. Just have to be careful and make sure someone has reported it will boot with the board you get.

GPU - Get the best you can with the money you have left over. If you got $200 left, get an X1800xt.

You still have to cover the PSU. Something along these lines:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103488

gigabyte DS3 or asus P5W DH/ P5B/ P5B DLX
get the teamgroup ddr2-667 3-4-4-8 ocs really nicly with low volts.
http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-3338-p-1676.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110839
go with either a 7300gt has 8 pipes or spends bit more for the 7600gs/gt 12pipes.
For HD dude no other choice but this beast.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

edit
here a better psu for the same price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103517

heh yep those ram are kinda expensive. any other recommendation? getting ready to order tonight

I would honestly consider Allendale instead of Conroe, if you are building a budget rig, why does 2 extra megs of cache matter? Go for the allendale and then spend a little more money on a better mobo, vga and ram.

PSU.. get the Sparkle 520W SLI.. its $89 or so at newegg right now.. its a more powerfull PSU then you picked and its cheaper.

You either need fast ram that only needs 1.8V.. or dont get the DS3.. it doesnt have downward mem dividers and it has a mem bio's bug when you get it.
so you got a couple of choices.. you can downgrade to a 1gig set of fast ram..

or Get the P5B-Deluxe and cheaper DDR2.. look around.. neweggs price on that mobo is rediculus. it goes for as little as $210 elsewere.

And I think you could deal with a E6400 if your overclocking on the P5B-Deluxe. (prices on the conroe's in the US are still $20+ on the high side)

Last edited:
ok the sparkle it is then. whats the mem bio bug on the ds3? p5b sound good but super expensive. its kinda over my budget right now. what 1g fast ram do you recommend?

You can get an E6400, an X1900XT, 2GB DDR2-800 (go for some 1.8v stuff if you get the DS3...maybe even that Patriot DDR2-667 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 1.8v), DS3. You could go with a 2x512MB of "better" memory too, since you can always get another two sticks down the road when you "need" 2GB. Or just a single 1GB DIMM.

greenmaji said:
to be honest.. to get the same core freaquency clocks out of the DS3.. its going to cost you more in the price diffence in ram then the price diffence in the motherboards really. expesialy if you have an urge to go for 2Gb for multitasking.
the ram I would recomend in a 1gig kit is out of stock. well backordered..
http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-3338-p-1681.html?osCsid=000006b9f45cac30acf84525a18a2551

Did you even look at the ram she chose? It is 1.8v. Reviewers at egg also say they've gotten it up over 900 with the DS3, so its totally perfect with that board. 1 gig these days is a serious bottleneck, I know. I was on 1 gig for a long time and man did it start to suck these last 4-5 months.

The sooner your oder, the sooner you will have the goodies in your hands. And thats always a good feeling.

To bad we couldn't hit >$1000. I'd like to have that perfect C2D build for $1000 done, and stickied for everyone who asks for it. :)

Your obviously taking a hit on the case, but thats always fine as the case is a personal preference choice. I wish the CM Stacker 830 was everyday price $125 like I got mine for, everyone should seriously consider it, I love this thing.

Back