• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinstalling windows over windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mindflux0

Registered
So, I reset my bios and forgot to fix the date and WinXP x64 ended my trial prematurely. I had an interesting idea though. I'm going to try to install windows into the same partition (under windows2). Then I'm going to try copy all the registry entries excluding whatever marks the trial's time and then erase the original OS replacing it with the fresh, unended trial AND have all my programs still installed.....is this feasible?

You can try, though I have never had any luck. I usually end up with errors. This also goes for up-grades. Best to install on fresh format. I would set your c-moss and try a fresh install, if possible.

Rename \windows \program files and \documents and settings from the old Windows. Then it might work, but I doN#t think you have a higher chance then 5-10%

Back