• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok I'm lost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok I have the chance to get an Opty 146 free. Right now I have a 3500 Venice, so I was wondering about speed. I'm alittle confused ont he whole HT part. The 3500 has a 2000MHz HT where as the Opty has a 1000MHz HT. Between the two MHZ for MHz which is fast and why. Should I just go with a dual core instead.

thats just mislabled on whatever site or looking at or bad advertising.

here's the real deal, AMD64 200 double pumped for ddr400
the HT is 200mhz ALSO but x 5 for 1000 and thats double pumped also for 2000 , but all programs read the memory outside the bios as 400+ but the HT as 1000, ITS STUPID lol

They are basically the same thing, the Opteron does have more cache but the rest is the same on both chips. But if you overclock then the Opterons usually overclock higher so there is no downside to replacing your A64 with an Opteron.

By the way the HT replaced the front side bus so it is the speed at which the cpu communicates with the chipset or in a dual cpu setup up, the HT is used to communicate with the other cpu as well. The reason for it to be labeled in some occasions as 1.0ghz and 2.0ghz in other occasions is because it actually runs at 1.0ghz but since it is full duplex, data can go through it at both directions simultaneously, and that is why you get 2x1000mhz.

yeah if its free def do it. im stable @ 3.0ghz right now on stock volts and it will go higher, but my ram is limiting me. if you get a good stepping, it overclocks very well.

I would do the dual core since it can do more per clock. It may not clock as high, but it can do more things at once. If an app can handle it. Plus dual core is a little cooler in the aspect of two cores.

IF you work with the CPU get dual.
If you want speed on paper get the Opty. The Opterons are really fast, but cant do as much as the dual core. A multithreaded app will thank you for the dual.

Personally, I would opt for the X2.

X2 - especially if you're doing FAH or video encoding. A lot of video encoding can be done with multithreading, two threads means your encoding will take almost half the time. And if you're Folding, you can run two instances instead of one = greater PPD. :D

With the X2 you can encode and run the F@H. If you have enough RAM. It is more fun to use the computer in new ways. You cna still push the X2 to every inch it can give.

Now if it was single purpose machine get that bad 'ole Opty.

Well if the choice were between a $230 4400+ X2 or a $0 Opteron146, I'de take the Opteron.
However I see you do some folding and video encoding, and those tasks would benefit from X2.

Can you take the Opty for free, sell it and your venice, and then get the X2 for free after selling the two chips?

That would be the way to go. :thup: And then you can get the 4800 x2 :)

Back