• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a "different" wireless solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

My boss came to me today asking for a wireless internet solution to power a product we're wanting to offer our clients this holiday season. Our current setup which is most commonly located in mall offices, which have an established network we can connect to. They want to be able to offer something that is in a kiosk/cart/booth that's independant from the mall's network.

The initial thought was to use the Sprint Broadband service but it's not available in all areas and is only available via a PCMCIA card. The computers we use are the Dell Optiplex ultra-slim computers, thus no PCI slot to throw in a PCMCIA adapter. I found a PCMCIA->USB adapter but it's $280.

Another factor is whatever we find has to support the connectivity of a PPTP VPN connection.

We're trying to be as non-intrusive to the malls as possible. The less they have to do with this the easier it is to sell. Any thoughts on something to look into? I'm just not pulling the rabbit out of this hat.

so your wanting to offer a wireless solution that is based out of a cart to users that woudl be located within the building?

"The initial thought was to use the Sprint Broadband service but it's not available in all areas and is only available via a PCMCIA card. The computers we use are the Dell Optiplex ultra-slim computers, thus no PCI slot to throw in a PCMCIA adapter. I found a PCMCIA->USB adapter but it's $280."

way to read.

So you're trying ot set up one of those booths in places that dont have established network connection in, say, anoter office in the same mall.

because that would make this easy.

I think verizon has one of those services with a USB thinger... OR maybe you can get one of the cellphone usb internet bridge things- wonder what they run

DvBoard said:
so your wanting to offer a wireless solution that is based out of a cart to users that woudl be located within the building?
No, I need a standalone wireless solution for our computer alone seperate from the mall or wherever this booth may be.

I've also thought of getting a phone and a data plan as well as that works through USB. I'll jot that down as another idea. I'll give them all the ideas I have as opposed to the ones I would personally find viable. Our decision makers have stupid ideas.

im missing your aim..

you want a wireless network for your clients computers so they can file share / access the net etc?

from what i gather you can have a gateway set up which all the wireless clients can connect to. you dont have to have a wireless broadband source. you can have ANY broadband then just attach a wireless gateway device (DHCP serv, firewall, QoS etc) to share out the connection??

gorilly said:
im missing your aim..

you want a wireless network for your clients computers so they can file share / access the net etc?

from what i gather you can have a gateway set up which all the wireless clients can connect to. you dont have to have a wireless broadband source. you can have ANY broadband then just attach a wireless gateway device (DHCP serv, firewall, QoS etc) to share out the connection??
No, this is to serve one computer. A computer they'd like to have setup in the middle of the mall. Something they don't want to have to connect to the mall's network. Something we can bring in and hook it up to one of our computers and away it goes without any need for the mall to lift a hand.

So yes, a wireless solution for internet access, no file sharing as it'll only be a single computer. And have the ability to connect a PPTP VPN through said connection.

so this wireless computer,, will it be for public use?

all you need to do is get an access point which suppost isolation mode (this means it can connect to the network so far as getting an ip address but cant see anything else on the network at all... like it suggests its isolated it looks like it is the only pc there), then run it from the same internet connect that all the office computers get. if you are really addament about not having it on the mall network then just buy another DSL connection and have it running from a wireless router.

use smoothwall + dans guardian to apply internet filtering to it so its pretty restricted.

use the free public computer kit from windows to lock it down so it cant be messed up

remember to make a drive image so it can be formatted in no time.

you can get the microsoft shared computer tool kit from here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

and here is a network diagram for you (hand drawn, yes i draw like a 5 year old child!!) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/Miccutajar/IMG.jpg

why a wireless access point and not a router? simply because they are cheaper

or am i still missing the point?

Last edited:
I think most people are misunderstanding what he's trying to do. although I could be misunderstanding also. It sounds like they have a booth/kiosk/something that needs access to the internet so it can make a VPN connection back to their main office. That way it can get updates and be managed by them. While Gorilly's pretty picture could be used, I don't think it would be the best solution, b/c you're not ALWAYS garunteed that you'll be able to get your wireless single to the other end of the building you're in. AND he said he doesn't want to be plugged into the mall/whatever's network. And he doesn't want the staff at the building to have to do anything but plug in the power basically. SO, I think the cell service would probably be your best bet in that situation. It's definitely the cheapest. Going Satelite might work, but I would envision that to be very expensive.

Thespis377 said:
I think most people are misunderstanding what he's trying to do. although I could be misunderstanding also. It sounds like they have a booth/kiosk/something that needs access to the internet so it can make a VPN connection back to their main office. That way it can get updates and be managed by them. While Gorilly's pretty picture could be used, I don't think it would be the best solution, b/c you're not ALWAYS garunteed that you'll be able to get your wireless single to the other end of the building you're in. AND he said he doesn't want to be plugged into the mall/whatever's network. And he doesn't want the staff at the building to have to do anything but plug in the power basically. SO, I think the cell service would probably be your best bet in that situation. It's definitely the cheapest. Going Satelite might work, but I would envision that to be very expensive.

i dont know what 3g (cell) services are like in the usa... in the uk they are like using isdn lines and are VERY expensive, they charge a monthly fee + per MB useage fees not to mention unreliable (my experience with vodafone in the uk)

how far away is the booth from the office?

seperate internet connection, wireless router, then all he needs to do is VPN in

as for range issues, it depends on distance and what sort of AP they are prepared to buy...

Back