• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will ebay EVER do anything about this crap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably ebay won't do anything as usuall. No one ever can stop morons from bidding. Also I am wondering about this auction if a scammer is building reputation.

What is the point of these bids, does anyone know? I agree that it ruins it and should be stopped or at least minimized.

they are usually placed by nigerian/indonesian scam artists, they figure thye can bid any number they want as long as they win..

when 2 of these scammers get into a bidding war this crap happens

ebay should have an option for "bid size limiting" that you could set when making your auctions so that no one can bid over some really high price you set.
like if you're selling a $300 piece of equipment, you should be able to set it so any bids over $800 or so will be invalidated or simply unsubmitted

I've had a sub to the forums since '02, haven't LOGGED in since '04 though I regularly read... usually I don't post. However, seeing this thread, I just had to blow off some steam.

Last week I posted a pretty nice laptop (Dell Inspiron 8600) that was pretty pimped out for a two year old machine, and made one of the buying options "buy it now" The day after I posted, a Nigerian scammer "bought it now", and I promptly reported it to EBay. Since then the scammer's been shut down, but EBay is charging me 90 bucks in auction fees, and noone from EBay's responding to the email that I sent. I seriously just want to Craigslist the machine, because EBay is just too damn rediculous. They seriously don't care. Tomarrow, I think I'm going to try and dig up an EBay phone # and talk to a human. :-/

*end rant*

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
ebay should have an option for "bid size limiting" that you could set when making your auctions so that no one can bid over some really high price you set.
like if you're selling a $300 piece of equipment, you should be able to set it so any bids over $800 or so will be invalidated or simply unsubmitted

they used to have a bid incriment thing but I haven't seen that option anymore which kinda sucks b/c I had some idiot bidding $0.25 and such against someone else on a case I was selling on there.lol

Aphex_Tom_9 said:

Good concept, but I dont think capping bid amounts would do much, these clowns will still bid outrageous prices - ebay just has to tighten up on who they let register

Why would they? When you join, you agree to:
1) Pay for whatever you bid
2) Pay eBay their cut of whatever someone else bids.

As long as they get their money, their share profits go up. So what importance are you?

Welcome to Corporate America. We don't need eBay to moderate their users, we need us to moderate eBay.

Janglur said:
Why would they? When you join, you agree to:
1) Pay for whatever you bid
2) Pay eBay their cut of whatever someone else bids.

As long as they get their money, their share profits go up. So what importance are you?

Welcome to Corporate America. We don't need eBay to moderate their users, we need us to moderate eBay.

Yes, you do agree to #1, however these people clearly break that with not paying, just leaving #2 on the seller. Obviously, not fair. Something has to be done.

The thing is, EBay makes its money off the sellers of an item, not the buyers. As long as they get their auction post fees and percentage of the sale, they're happy.

Mizuno said:
The thing is, EBay makes its money off the sellers of an item, not the buyers. As long as they get their auction post fees and percentage of the sale, they're happy.

and logic says if this bs keeps up there will be less sellers

but thats not how it works, ebay will just keep getting bigger

Ebay will never stop it because ebay gets the fee's for the auction :D

What they do need is that a person can not raise their own bid, i see this happen alot as well, someone bids $10, the same person then ups it to $15 and so on with out anyone else bidding.

Maybe ebay needs to start charging a percentage of the winning bidders amount, so the bidder has to pay a cut. I know it will never happen and that is why I stopped using ebay and started using craigslist to only sell to local people I end up meeting in person.

Lionsault_100 said:
Looking for an old p3 laptop as usual and find this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...40019386523&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

and a couple of morons make ridiculous bids and ruin everything for everyone, and its been happening more and more do you think ebay will ever address this ?

Ebay did do something, the high bidder is not a registered member anymore. But Ebay still gets an F- when it comes to speed of action and an F- dealing with con men

Silversinksam said:
Ebay did do something, the high bidder is not a registered member anymore. But Ebay still gets an F- when it comes to speed of action and an F- dealing with con men

yeah but it sucks because

the item isn't available anymore to a real buyer and that seller will probably say to hell with ebay and will probably quit

----

someone mentioned a fee --- VERY good idea. they should make you pay a $50 deposit and then 3 months after you stay in good standing you get that $ back.

Back