• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 for new primary components - AMD CPU / MOBO / 512 Video / 2 gig RAM / DVD Burn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somegeek

$1000 for new primary components - AMD CPU / MOBO / 512 Video / 2 gig RAM / DVD Burn

I have been outta the hardware game for a few years... hate to be that guy to ask for this help but my system is maxed on the current board... P4P800 - P43.0 OC'd to 3.45 - BFG 6800 GT 256 - 2gigs - runs okay but shows it's age when I crank up the res and detail in games. Time to upgrade but as I've said - I've been outta the upgrade game for a while and could use some guidance. :)

I just picked up a 74MB SATA Raptor for OS/games and (2) WD 160MB SATA RE drives for storage in Raid 1 - want to purchase the following upgrades with the following basic specs...

* CPU - AMD64 - not sure what flavor? Been an Intel fanboy for a long time but making the switch and am clueless on AMD CPUs.
* Video card - PCI-E 512MB
* Motherboard - onboard audio/LAN not critical - need at least Raid1
* Memory - 2 x 1g sticks
* DVD burner

I know the above might go outside $1000 but that is my target budget to upgrade the components.

Got an Antec TrueBlue 450 watt power supply, ATX case. Can upgrade the PS if this won't cut it.

For a while I've OC'd my boxes to eek out every bit of horsepower I could which required loud air cooling and led to headaches when we get heatwaves... Figure I'll build a faster computer so I won't have to OC for a while to play current games and have a quieter box... til I need to OC. :p

Any input/guidance on the above components would be appreciated. This will be used mostly for gaming. Raid 1 setup for image archives, etc.

somegeek

Well a lot of people will probably try and sway you to go Core 2 Duo & such but I'm a AMD fanboy I guess you'd say.lol Yes the new Intel's are fast but I think AMD's got something up their sleave, I'm just hoping it will be AM2 as well b/c if not that will blow.lol

Anyhow if you are going to go with AMD here's what'd I'd go for..

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2 $266

Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI $199.99

or you could go for the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 570 for $142.99

Video: eVGA GeForce 7900 GT KO 512MB 512-P2-N568-AR $299.99

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $255

You will definately want a new PSU as $450 is the minimum for the Video card.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply $129.99

So with that you're at about $1150 & then whatever shipping is it's a bit over but not to badly over your budget. You could lower that by getting some cheaper Memory G.Skill has got some (same one I got) for $199.99, and if you go with the other Asus you'd be around, $1050.

Hope that helps :)

Edit - Crap forgot the DVD Burner...

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write $31.99

Last edited:
This is what I would go for...

*eVGA, XFX, or Leadtek 7900GT - Around $300 Also, a 512mb card isn't really needed unless you plan on running your games at extreme resolutions.
*AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 'Windsor' Socket AM2 - $150
*OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, or G.Skill DDR2-800 2GB Kit - $200-250+
Wolverine690 said:
That looks good
*OCZ PowerStream or GameXStream PSU for around $110+
*ASUS M2N-SLI Board looks like a good choice (Kudos to Wolv) -$150

That comes to about $1000. :)

Femto

Last edited:
Femto said:
Well, I'm not going to post recommendations because I still don't know what you're going to use this for...
Gaming most likely, though I'm not sure if you'd want a single core or dual core processor. I'll post back later.

Femto

I see you changed your post from it's original 'content' which I was replying to...

Yes - as you read this will be for gaming.

Regarding single or dual core? What do the hardcore gamers on the board that use dual think?

Wolverine690 said:
Anyhow if you are going to go with AMD here's what'd I'd go for..

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2 $266

Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI $199.99

or you could go for the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 570 for $142.99

Video: eVGA GeForce 7900 GT KO 512MB 512-P2-N568-AR $299.99

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $255

You will definately want a new PSU as $450 is the minimum for the Video card.

PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply $129.99

So with that you're at about $1150 & then whatever shipping is it's a bit over but not to badly over your budget. You could lower that by getting some cheaper Memory G.Skill has got some (same one I got) for $199.99, and if you go with the other Asus you'd be around, $1050.

Hope that helps :)

Edit - Crap forgot the DVD Burner...

I might go with a MB with less options - wireless not critical, but this list gets me started. Thanks, Wolverine! :)

If you want S939, the Opteron 165's came down in price and I was able to hit 2.75GHz right off the bat, stock vcore. With the Scythe Ninja hsf (and the fact that I forgot to connect the power led, I'd come into my room and constantly think that my comp was turned off! I came from a pretty loud AthlonXP dually so it's a significant upgrade for me. Video, a 7900GT cuts it for me (came from a 9800Pro). Nonoverclocked it's a big improvement and I've yet to overclock it. Stock cooling on that is equally quiet.

Femto said:
*eVGA, XFX, or Leadtek 7900GT - Around $300 Also, a 512mb card isn't really needed unless you plan on running your games at extreme resolutions.

I'd only go with eVGA as they have the best warranty & the stepup program if you check any thread here asking for which brand of video card hands down will be eVGA by pretty much anyone who posts in thread.

somegeek said:
I might go with a MB with less options - wireless not critical, but this list gets me started. Thanks, Wolverine! :)

that's why I put the other modle on there b/c wasn't sure if you'd want raybeams & such with your motherboard.lol I've got the 570 version myself...or will again today.lol

it's a solid looking board & has great reviews and a nice layoutm and for $140ish good deal.

somegeek said:
Review at Tom's Hardware regarding the X2 looks pretty convincing.

I'm going from a 939 3200+ and going with whats in my sig I expect it to be a major improvement. I've used some Dual core systems and they are awesome.

I play WoW & alt tab out a lot to search thottbot, check on downloads, chat on msngr's or whatever and it is really smooth, so should improve my usage dramatically. I would definately go with an X2 AM2 socket CPU.

Raybeams would be cool but I don't think I'd use'em. :D

My primary crack at the moment is WoW as well. Doin the same to alt out for Skype, Vent, Thotbot... and I'm a high res freak. Can't wait to crank up the res with my new build.

Last edited:
somegeek said:
Raybeams would be cool but I don't think I'd use'em. :D

My primary crack at the moment is WoW as well. Doin the same to alt out for Skype, Vent, Thotbot... and I'm a high res freak. Can't wait to crank up the res with my new build.

cool good luck :) Waiting on UPS with my replacement gear now which they'd hurry the F up.lol

somegeek said:
Man - I know that feeling... Big brown truck = loot... same with FedEx. :D
LOL yeah no kidding

and Woot UPSlady just came and oh yeah she was looking good in her shorts & button up shirt ;):drool:

Not fully understanding the AMD CPUs... will the Asus M2N-SLI be something I can upgrade the CPU in down the road to something significantly beefier given I start out with a Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4600?

somegeek said:
Not fully understanding the AMD CPUs... will the Asus M2N-SLI be something I can upgrade the CPU in down the road to something significantly beefier given I start out with a Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4600?

the 4600+ is a fairly beefy CPU at the moment I think there are only like 2 other CPU's at the moment above it. But down the road AMD I'm sure will pull something out their arse for AM2.

Ah - good to know.

Guess I can always add another GPU down the road in SLI for a performance boost as well... making me lean towards the M2N32 since the M2N drops the PCI-E speed to 8x when the cards are in SLI and the M2N32 stays at 16x.

somegeek said:
Ah - good to know.

Guess I can always add another GPU down the road in SLI for a performance boost as well... making me lean towards the M2N32 since the M2N drops the PCI-E speed to 8x when the cards are in SLI and the M2N32 stays at 16x.

Yeha I was going to go with the M2N32 as well as some of the other raybeam like features but the difference between the 2 is really not noticable in all reviews & tests done, so I figured I'd save myself a few bucks & get the one I did.

What's the main diff between Opteron and X2 processors besides L2 cache size?

somegeek said:
What's the main diff between Opteron and X2 processors besides L2 cache size?

as far as I know that about it...though I think they OC a little better but you'll probably want comfirmation from someone who OC's.

Back