• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there any boards that r cheaper than a p5b deluxe that can oc well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know why you would want to compromise the entire system, to save a little money. Your motherboard is your mother. It gives life to the rest of the system. Cheap boards while saving you a little cash now...can lead to a lot of pain later. I would not get the regular p5B, its not good. Save your money and get the right board you want, not one you dont.

The only one that clocks as well tested is the DS3 so far..
It has a different south bridge.. the ICH8.. the P5B-Deluxe has the ICH8R
As in Raid :cool:

It also lacks the beafy power regulation that will make the P5B-Deluxe a MUCH better Kent mobo :cool:

ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2, ECS P965T-A, MSI P965 Neo-F, and Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 are the cheapie Intel chipset motherboards that are available. None of which I would recommend. The ASRock and Gigabyte that I listed are retread i945 chipsets. The other two are at least i965 chipsets.

beau_safken said:
I don't know why you would want to compromise the entire system, to save a little money. Your motherboard is your mother. It gives life to the rest of the system. Cheap boards while saving you a little cash now...can lead to a lot of pain later. I would not get the regular p5B, its not good. Save your money and get the right board you want, not one you dont.

I rather see him with a cheaper board, than a cheap psu

thegreek said:
the P5B-Deluxe is a VERY good board but has a crazy price for a 965 board :rolleyes:

For $70 more you get raid fuctionality that performs as well or better then a $300+ Raid controller card.. I don't know about you.. but I would call that a value :cool:

The only other mobo that has the ICH8R southbridge that I've seen on the market is the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 and it doesn't clock FSB as well and it cost even more.

i would say the AB9 pro here as its 150 and you get ich8r. the only problem atm is the ocing part and some ram problems. abit is working on it as a abit rep said alot of problems will be fixed with the next bios.

It all starts with the board. If you buy a crap board, you'll have a crap system regardless of how cool your video card is or expensive your CPU is.

Splurge on the board and PSU, and at least give yourself an upgrade path if you need to skimp on video or something else. The P5B Deluxe is worth the price tag IMHO, at least for now... though when the rev. 304/305 BadAxe' are readily available... *grins*

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
It all starts with the board. If you buy a crap board, you'll have a crap system regardless of how cool your video card is or expensive your CPU is.

Splurge on the board and PSU, and at least give yourself an upgrade path if you need to skimp on video or something else. The P5B Deluxe is worth the price tag IMHO, at least for now... though when the rev. 304/305 BadAxe' are readily available... *grins*

~ Gos
the rev 304's have been for quite some time now. i can go buy one from my local frys but i wouldnt touch the 304 you want the 305. A few places have the 305. Now why would i say 305 over 304, well for those that dont venture much to other forums. A few over at xs have had the ddr2 voltage regulator explode, this was unmodded boards mind you running setting in the bios. It happened to ross here and it killed one of his twinx 6400-c3 sticks.

Evilsizer said:
the rev 304's have been for quite some time now. i can go buy one from my local frys but i wouldnt touch the 304 you want the 305. A few places have the 305. Now why would i say 305 over 304, well for those that dont venture much to other forums. A few over at xs have had the ddr2 voltage regulator explode, this was unmodded boards mind you running setting in the bios. It happened to ross here and it killed one of his twinx 6400-c3 sticks.

OOO good to know! We hadn't even been able to get the rev. 304's when we started to get them in, they were 305's... we got 3 of them a couple weeks ago and they lasted 10 minutes out of the box.

From the sound of it, i should get one for myself when we get more tommorow :p

Evil, your av rocks. who cares about hobbits, the Balrog is my fav character out of the whole trilogy :p

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
OOO good to know! We hadn't even been able to get the rev. 304's when we started to get them in, they were 305's... we got 3 of them a couple weeks ago and they lasted 10 minutes out of the box.

From the sound of it, i should get one for myself when we get more tommorow :p

Evil, your av rocks. who cares about hobbits, the Balrog is my fav character out of the whole trilogy :p

~ Gos
what do you mean lasted 10 minutes out of the box?

as for the avatar yea i found the pic and was like this is cooler then the pic of diablo i was using from D2.

greenmaji said:
For $70 more you get raid fuctionality that performs as well or better then a $300+ Raid controller card.. I don't know about you.. but I would call that a value :cool:

The only other mobo that has the ICH8R southbridge that I've seen on the market is the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 and it doesn't clock FSB as well and it cost even more.

Ohhh thats good to hear I love me raid hitachis, cant wait till this gets here till I can dive into a kickass chipset.

Rattle said:
Ohhh thats good to hear I love me raid hitachis, cant wait till this gets here till I can dive into a kickass chipset.

Have you seen this thread? :drool:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848

And Evil.. are you postive it has the ICH8R? So very few mobo's do :( *nvm I looked it up.. it has it :)*
If it does.. the Egg doesn't have it.

I wanna see FSB results with the next bios.. and know if it has a Vdroop.

Last edited:
I just checked out what MBOT said.. LOL.. I almost forgot all about motherbords.org LOL

Well.. the ICH8R is on a killer overclocker thats comming to stores soon (for how much I don't know but its going for around $160 USD :drool: in europe right now)

TForce P965 Deluxe BIOSTAR

Its been benched at XS at over 500FSB :drool:

Evilsizer said:
what do you mean lasted 10 minutes out of the box?

as for the avatar yea i found the pic and was like this is cooler then the pic of diablo i was using from D2.

lol, openned the shipment and it was was like tickle me elmo on christmas... people grabbing them as soon as i put them out :p

~ Gos

beau_safken said:

What's with this "Your mother board is your mother..." ...giving life cr... Oh. You're from San Francisco.

...nevermind. (joking... joking...)

Anyway there's something to be said for saving a little cash now. I mean suppose he were to go and accidentally blow up the first Conroe board he buys... Better to be out 100 bucks than 250.

And it all depends on if, I don't know, maybe he already has his CPU just lying around doing nothing. I knew a guy that bought an Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, blew that up, traded it (and 100 bucks) for a DS3, blew THAT up, then just went and got another Asrock while waiting for his DS3 to come back from Gigabyte.

That said, it's not worth getting a DS3. Particularly for me, as a video and sound guy. The 50 dollar asrock has an onboard gameport you can use to connect a midi keyboard for composing. I think the audio is actually a step above the DS3 too. Doesn't overclock well. Doesn't even run video cards at normal speeds. But it's VERSATILE. And versatility is something you would find SORELY lacking on the DS3.

As well as:

Firewire - 7 euros
Gameport (soundcard) - 25 euros (for a half-way decent one)
Reliable Raid - 18 euros the last I saw

...that's HEY! Fifty bucks! We're back up at the price of a P5B Deluxe.

You're also out of PCI slots by then.

Back