• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there much difference between 3800 and 4200 amd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

articRider

Registered
is there a big difference between the x2 3800 and 4200? i think the cache is the same, but im thinking which is more worth it? the clockspeed would be about 400Mhz difference i think?

articRider said:
is there a big difference between the x2 3800 and 4200? i think the cache is the same, but im thinking which is more worth it? the clockspeed would be about 400Mhz difference i think?

Clock speed is actually only 200Mhz apart. and the X2 3800+ will in more cases than not overclock to 4200+ speeds with out anyproblems and usually without having to touch the voltage.

I favor the 4200 since you can max the chip. Too many non-DFI mobos out there and ram flake out before you get anywhere near the chips limit.

I would really like to pick up a dfi board and see how far this chip can really go . I have never had a issue with my ram heck i have memtested it up to 270 @ 2.5-3-3-5 1T

articRider said:

The difference in the clockspeed is only 200MHz. But if you're going to overclock (which I think you will), both of these proc reaches the same max clock of around 2.7 - 2.8Ghz.

AlabamaCajun said:
I favor the 4200 since you can max the chip. Too many non-DFI mobos out there and ram flake out before you get anywhere near the chips limit.

4200 to max out the chip?

Most NF4 MOBOs will go up to 300HT easily, which means 300x10 for the x3800. And I don't think he'll get 3ghz+ if he doesn't have a holy chip. RAM rates are still going to be the same since they are based off the total CPU speed.

I'd go for the x3800, and invest the rest in a good cooler.

dan

Ryn said:
The difference in the clockspeed is only 200MHz. But if you're going to overclock (which I think you will), both of these proc reaches the same max clock of around 2.7 - 2.8Ghz.

ALOT of the X2's arnt hitting 2.6ghz. Theres a few that are good, then the rest are terrible.

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
ALOT of the X2's arnt hitting 2.6ghz. Theres a few that are good, then the rest are terrible.

maybe so but it doesnt really matter for playing games does it? most requirements are at 1Ghz cpu these days.

the dual core means you can play games and do video encoding/decoding at the same time without any lag.example!

articRider said:
maybe so but it doesnt really matter for playing games does it? most requirements are at 1Ghz cpu these days.

the dual core means you can play games and do video encoding/decoding at the same time without any lag.example!

requirements are the bare minimum to run the game at PSOne graphics @ 20fps.

recommendations are what you should shoot for. and even those arent what it takes to run a game at full detail smoothly.

SteveLord said:
requirements are the bare minimum to run the game at PSOne graphics @ 20fps.

recommendations are what you should shoot for. and even those arent what it takes to run a game at full detail smoothly.

for those that play a lot of games..in fact only games it must matter, but to me i need mine for encoding mainly, video editing, autocad.I do play some games, but no way as much as lot of people do..mainly because i dont have the time.

Back