• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woo Hoo new 754 Venice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChristmasGT

Hey there! Just picked up what I think should be a good upgrade, a 3400+ 754 Venice with a free mobo for 100 bucks.

Its hard to find any info on 754 Venice's think I should see a pretty reasonable increase in performance with the Venice over my 3000 newcastle? I know it has a newer version of the onboard memory controller as well as the 90nm Process

Hopefully I can oc it fairly well :)

I looked at that deal and almost pulled the trigger. It's definily a good deal even for an aging socket as the 3400 is one of the tops in 754. I happened upon an AM2 Sempron and mobo for 100 about the same time which went back up shortly after. Hope to see some good results from you also.

i'd be interested to hear what kind of temps and oc results you get. i've been thinking about getting one of those to upgrade my second rig.

100$ isnt a bad deal at all, espicialy for a spare machine (or for a folding farm! :p) Even though its an ageing socket like alabama said and has no upgrade path, for 100$ you cant go wrong. :)

BENCHYS! SCREENIES! me want :)

The 754 3400+ runs at 2.4 ghz right? So a 600mhz OC should not be unreasonable, bringing you to 3ghz.

Until they start offering a D805 with a free mobo, this is probably the best low budget setup out there.

The reason I got it is because I don't plan to do a major overhaul until K8L Hits the market, I'm really hoping for the 3GHz on Air. It should be a major change from my Newcastle since it has the newer 90nm process (sorta newer) and SSE3 and such

She may be an old socket but she benches alright :-D I can't wait to start OCing it!

ChristmasGT said:
The reason I got it is because I don't plan to do a major overhaul until K8L Hits the market, I'm really hoping for the 3GHz on Air. It should be a major change from my Newcastle since it has the newer 90nm process (sorta newer) and SSE3 and such

She may be an old socket but she benches alright :-D I can't wait to start OCing it!

planning to get Venice S754 too
some oc result plssss ;)

Before I picked up this Conroe rig I had a s754 3000+ Venice running on a DFI nForce3 250gb and 2GB of G.Skill DDR500 memory. Prior to the Venice I ran a 3400+ Newcastle. The Newcastle chip I had topped out at exactly 2668mhz @ 1.6v. The Venice, I was able to max out at 2665mhz @ 1.55v but not 100% stable. I ran it 24/7 at 2.5Ghz and it beat the snot out of my 3400+. Im sure with that higher multi and high stock speed you should be able to pull at least 2.7Ghz. Unless there is some sort of wall with all the s754 chips. (which was the case with the Newcastles)

oh and all those clocks were under watercooling. temps on the venice were LOW ~28-30C idle, ~34c load.

One more thing.. dont exceed 1.6v with the Venice.

inkfx said:
Before I picked up this Conroe rig I had a s754 3000+ Venice running on a DFI nForce3 250gb and 2GB of G.Skill DDR500 memory. Prior to the Venice I ran a 3400+ Newcastle. The Newcastle chip I had topped out at exactly 2668mhz @ 1.6v. The Venice, I was able to max out at 2665mhz @ 1.55v but not 100% stable. I ran it 24/7 at 2.5Ghz and it beat the snot out of my 3400+. Im sure with that higher multi and high stock speed you should be able to pull at least 2.7Ghz. Unless there is some sort of wall with all the s754 chips. (which was the case with the Newcastles)

oh and all those clocks were under watercooling. temps on the venice were LOW ~28-30C idle, ~34c load.

One more thing.. dont exceed 1.6v with the Venice.

ur Venice beat ur Newcastle?
how?
ur max OC, Newcastle faster 3 celcius @ 1.6v
ur Venice 2665 @1.55v but not 100% stable?
hmmm, share more info pls?

S754 Venice only @ 3000+?

Yes I was not stable at 2665mhz because I would get random BSOD but when I dropped it down to 2.5-2.55Ghz it ran perfect. The Venice performed better than my Newcastle because of the smaller die and the new instructions on the chip. They also have new memory controllers. The Newcastle was just plain old so of course the Venice would provail. When I bought my Venice the 3000+ was the only flavour available. I didn't even know they began producing the 3400+ Venice untill this thread. Remember, its not always about clock speeds. ;)

Back