• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a few linux noob questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
using a knoppix bootable cd atm. First, I need to know how to login as root - when trying to install a "package" wuth kpackage, I'm prompted for a password, yet I was never given one.

Second, I'm using it for this: this

Browsing wikipedia offline would be great - imagine, waiting for a train, or anywhere without net, whip out your laptop and browse wikipedia! But it only supports linux :( . I want to make a bootable linux dvd so I can have the 1.4gb wikipedia file on there too - I also need to access windows on the same laptop, and I'm not at liberty to fudge with partitions just yet.

I've unzipped firefox, and tried running "firefox" and "run-mozilla.sh" and I get "couldn't find the program firefox" and "the same for mozilla.sh. I tried this to get around needing the root password.

Can anyone help out? The most important thing seems to be the password, and also, since that zipedia is an extension, I'm guessing I'm going to have to save the FF settings somewhere on the hard drive?

EDIT: ok, got past the root password, but when i try to install FF: "sh: installpkg: command not found" RESULT=127

How the heck do you install firefox on knoppix? When I use the built in version, I can't install that zipedia extension, and it seems that FF that comes with it doesn't have an extension menu...

Last edited:
invictius said:
using a knoppix bootable cd atm. First, I need to know how to login as root - when trying to install a "package" wuth kpackage, I'm prompted for a password, yet I was never given one.

Second, I'm using it for this: this

Browsing wikipedia offline would be great - imagine, waiting for a train, or anywhere without net, whip out your laptop and browse wikipedia! But it only supports linux :( . I want to make a bootable linux dvd so I can have the 1.4gb wikipedia file on there too - I also need to access windows on the same laptop, and I'm not at liberty to fudge with partitions just yet.

I've unzipped firefox, and tried running "firefox" and "run-mozilla.sh" and I get "couldn't find the program firefox" and "the same for mozilla.sh. I tried this to get around needing the root password.

Can anyone help out? The most important thing seems to be the password, and also, since that zipedia is an extension, I'm guessing I'm going to have to save the FF settings somewhere on the hard drive?

EDIT: ok, got past the root password, but when i try to install FF: "sh: installpkg: command not found" RESULT=127

How the heck do you install firefox on knoppix? When I use the built in version, I can't install that zipedia extension, and it seems that FF that comes with it doesn't have an extension menu...

If the file you downloaded has a tar.gz extension, then you do this as root, while in the directory of the file you downloaded: (normally /home/user/Desktop)

• tar -xzf file.tar.gz
  • cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

If the file you downloaded has a tar.bz2 extension, then you do this as root, while in the directory of the file you downloaded: (normally /home/user/Desktop)

• tar -xvjpf file.tar.bz2
  • cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

Make sure you only run each command, once the process has finished. For example, once the file is done being configured after typing ./configure, it should take you back to the regular prompt. Then you just go ahead and type the next command. NOTE: "directory' is not the name of the directory; you have to insert the name of the uncompressed directory.

tspier2 said:
If the file you downloaded has a tar.gz extension, then you do this as root, while in the directory of the file you downloaded: (normally /home/user/Desktop)

• tar -xzf file.tar.gz
  • cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

If the file you downloaded has a tar.bz2 extension, then you do this as root, while in the directory of the file you downloaded: (normally /home/user/Desktop)

• cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

Make sure you only run each command, once the process has finished. For example, once the file is done being configured after typing ./configure, it should take you back to the regular prompt. Then you just go ahead and type the next command. NOTE: "directory' is not the name of the directory; you have to insert the name of the uncompressed directory.

Where do I type all this stuff? And once done, what do I click to run firefox?

If you download the source code for firefox, it will be a file with a tar.gz extension. That is a compressed file like a zip file. You then must open a terminal to the location of this zip file and type "tar -xzf filename.tar.gz to extract that file. The file will be extracted to a directory, switch to this new directory. Type ./configure. Wait for the work to finish, proceed to the next instructions.

To get a different version of a program which already ships with knppix, you need to remaster: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

Installing different software is not possible cause knoppix s not made for installing anything: it's a LiveCD and the CD is obviously not writable. Compiling ffox everytime you bootup knoppix is about the worst possible waste of time you can imagine. Even if you want to compile ffox, you certainly won't start from normal upstream cvs packages

tspier2 said:

• tar -xzf file.tar.gz
  • cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

• cd directory
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

I can't for the life of me find TERM, so I've gone to knoppix>root shell. From there, I've followed the commands up until ./configure. Result: "bash: ./configure: no such file or directory". Is it because I'm using bash, or because I'm using a bootable cd? The only reason I haven't installed a distro yet is because I want to see if this plugin actually works first...

it can either mean you're not in the right directory, or it doesn't use ./configure ... see if there is a file called "INSTALL" and read it ('cat INSTALL' or use a text editor like nano or vm)

telexen said:
it can either mean you're not in the right directory, or it doesn't use ./configure ... see if there is a file called "INSTALL" and read it ('cat INSTALL' or use a text editor like nano or vm)

I'm in the right directory, and granted, I don't have access to the archive, but I clicked everything that could possibly install it, or any hints, e.g txts.

Back