• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D overclocking, one quick question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dguy6789

Hello. I have a very simple question that I hope gets answered quickly. I am to understand that the Pentium D 820 runs at 14x200 to equal 2.8Ghz with 800Mhz FSB. The Pentium D 805 runs at 20x133 to equal 2.66Ghz with 533Mhz FSB.

My mainboard is limited to about 864Mhz FSB. I cannot overclock my Pentium D 820 very far as a result.

If I sold my Pentium D 820 and bought a Pentium D 805, would I be able to simply change the FSB from 533 to 800 and have a massive overclock right there?

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon with a special fan, so cooling is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

yep, that's the right idea.

going from 133fsb in bios to 200fsb would give you 4ghz even, if your cooling and PSU can handle it.

i think that would be a smart upgrade for you, seeing as it probably costs you nothing.

gl, let us know how it does ;)

depending on cost of the 820, you might also consider one of the cheap presslers as well, the extra cache might be worth a few bucks.
I have swapped a few 830's out for 930 oem c1's for my folding rigs ... they run a good or better oc on lower vc, consumming less power and producing les heat. The b stepping presslers aren't as good.
The newest (and last?) presslers like 915/945 might also be a good option if the price is right since they wouldn't need as much OC and i am assuming they are share the 930 c stepping behaviour (ie good oc on lower VC).

pscout, he's very fsb limited. 216fsb is the max of his board from what he said. that won't really get him very far on anything but a 805 sadly. :(

otherwise, yea, i would go for a new c1 for sure. :)

Alright. Thanks for all the help you guys. I think I am going to sell/trade my Pentium D 820 for an 805 then.

I would not sell your chip so quickly because I'm not so sure that your motherboard is the culprit behind your OCing problems, if you are using the Abit IL8 in your signature, I have the same board and it supports 1066+ FSB speeds. If I was to guess your ram is whats holding you back. I know my XMS 5400c4 will not run the 1:1 or the 800FSB divider at any timing past about 900fsb but if I drop the divider to 4:5 which is the 1066 FSB setting in the bios I can get up to the speed in my signature the ram running at 339Mhz and the FSB@1088Mhz and core speed of 3.8Ghz. Its worth try atleast.

I am not new to overclocking. I am very well aware of how memory comes into play. I would not have bothered posting if my memory was what was holding me back.

Either way, I would be able to overclock further with a Pentium D 805 than I would with an 820 due to the 20X multiplier.

doh ... i think my mind was working in reverse when i read your question yesterday :eek:

Back