• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new build, but I think I killed something...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobious

I put together a system a few days ago for a friend of mine while he was away. I left it put together for a few days and never turned it on (b/c I didn't have a Windows disk or an OS to install on it) and today was the first day I turned it on only to find out it isn't working. Heres the specs:

Intel E6600 Proc, ASUS P5B Deluxe Mobo, OCZ Gold DDR2-800 2Gb RAM Kit, eVGA 7600GT KO, Seagate 250Gb 16Mb Cache SATA-II HDD, Ultra X2 PSU, Zalman CNPS7700-CU and VF900-CU Heatsinks all wraped in a black windowed Thermaltake Swing.

I plugged everything in, got it all set to go, flipped the switch on the PSU and saw the cool ASUS LED light and under-mobo glow turn on, so I then pushed the power button. Everything spools up (fans, HDD) but after I turned on the monitor it just said "No Signol" and went into sleep mode. I rechecked each power connector, cleared the CMOS (all by the letter from the mobo instruction booklet), swapped around the positions of the RAM chips, and just about anything else that might have solved a loose connection/bad contact. Nothing. At this point I'd rather not dump any money into having a professional look at it (seeing as its not mine and I don't want to pick of the tab for it) but I can't see anything being wrong except for: the PSU (most doubtful), the CPU (more doubtful), the Mobo (more likely), or the GPU (my best guess). I am personaly stumped, so if anyone could lend a helping hand in this it would be much appreciated.

-Mobious-

Yeah, it is most likely the video card. Reseat the card, make sure all wires are correctly plugged in, if that doesn't do it try it in another machine or put a spare card in that one. And like david said: try a diff. power supply, I wouldn't trust ultra for that kind of system.

Put my Antec Neo HE 500 in it, nothing still; and sadly I don't have another system to cross-reference the functionality of the parts with (mine only runs AGP8x and DDR-400). So, I'm down to two possible problem points: 1. the GPU, or 2. the Mobo (which is what a few of my friends are saying is the issue). If its the GPU then it's b/c the card is DEAD DEAD. The only cable on it that needs a plug is the 3-pin lead from the Zalman HS (its a 7600GT, no 6-pin necessary), and I know for a fact its seated properly (the mobo is on my table, out of the case).

-Mobious-

I've heard issues with certian RAM and conroe MB's cause they don't run at the right voltage or seomthing. got any old ram to try to throw in it?

Nope, just DDR and SDRAM. I'm still in the stoneages of Northwood and the 865 chipset at home, nothing new that will take any of this stuff for cross-referencing. However, I know for a fact that the RAM I'm using is compadible: built almost the same exact system about a week prior to this one, only real diff was the PSU and the case, and its running fine with the same hardware as this one. So, its more likely something is dead rather than not compadible (I just have no idea as to what tho).

-Mobious-

Well, after a month of waiting for the RMA of the motherboard and the HDD to get back to me I still have bad news. The returns people at ZipZoomFly confirmed that the board is absolutely fine (but the HDD wasn't, that was replaced), and I poped the GPU in my friend's system and it was fine too. I put it all back together and plugged it in only to see: A BLANK SCREEN!!!! WHOOOO, 1 month of waiting to find out that theres still an issue. Same prob too. So right about now I want to kill something (and so does the owner of the system). The good news is that I've narrowed it down to 2 things: the CPU or the RAM. My money is on the RAM. However, this is where it gets weird: before I sent the board back I switched around the RAM and tested all of them, so if theres an issue with the RAM its both sticks >< what are the odds??? But if its actually the CPU, my friend is up a creek and so am I (went OEM ><), however I highly doubt its the chip. So, any input as to what the board would give off as warning signs that the RAM is the issue?

-Mobious-

How did ZZF confirm that the motherboard was good? Did they RMA it to the manufacturer or did one of their "experts" test it?

It is unfortunate that you don't have a spare PCIe video card laying around as it would help answer some questions about whether or not the motherboard is okay. Usually if something is wrong with the video card or RAM you will at least get beep codes, often RAM error codes will manifest as a beep-pause-beep-pause-beep code, your motherboard manual should have a list of the audible codes and what they mean.

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM, alternating that stick in a different slot for each boot?

Last edited:
From the look of things ZZF might have done the test themselves; they included a printout of a screenshot w/ System Propertys, BurnInTest 5.1 and CPU-Z on the desktop and a handwritten note saying "tested good". I do have an AGP video card (had a PCI one) but the board is PCI-Express so that won't do me any goood. The book for the Mobo has like 3 lines about posing beeps (pretty much no info) but the thing is: it wont post. No beeps about it, and I flipped the case speaker connector over just in case that was it and there still wasn't anything (would be nice if there was a built in speaker). Still have no idea whats up, help is appreciated (note, I plugged in a set of speakers and cranked em but there wasnt anything there either).

-Mobious-

Back