• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a8n-sli vs. a8n32-sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

What benefits will I see with the 32-bit version rather than the standard? I kind of know the basics, but what real-world benefits will I see?

Do you plan to run SLi grpahics cards?

The A8N32 SLi has true 16x and 16x on the PCIx slots when you run two cards in SLi.....the A8N SLi is 8x and 8x for each PCIx slot when both are in use.

If you are just using one graphics card then don't worry about the PCIx speed because it will be 16x.

Hmm, dunno about the A8N32-SLi version, but I luv my A8N-SLi Deluxe. Very stable board and not 1 single issue since i've had it. Going to be swapping boards to a DFI soon tho.

are you kidding me?! So, what's the point of running SLI on the a8n standard?

nebulous, what cards/card are you running on yours? Did you look into the 32 version becfore buying the standard?

ninjacore said:
are you kidding me?! So, what's the point of running SLI on the a8n standard?
Because current hardware doesn't push the limits of the max bandwidth in 8x/8x SLI mode. Testing has shown no difference between identical SLI setups run on the two boards. Now if you're trying to decide between the two boards and price isn't a factor, definitely go with the A8N32-SLi since the 16x/16x bandwidth may help with future video cards.

ninjacore said:
nebulous, what cards/card are you running on yours? Did you look into the 32 version becfore buying the standard?

Actually no, i wasn't planning on running sli. The video card i'm using is in my sig :) I might go sli if i get another 6800gt.

KillrBuckeye said:
Because current hardware doesn't push the limits of the max bandwidth in 8x/8x SLI mode. Testing has shown no difference between identical SLI setups run on the two boards. Now if you're trying to decide between the two boards and price isn't a factor, definitely go with the A8N32-SLi since the 16x/16x bandwidth may help with future video cards.

Okay, well I got the standard version with a Pc setup I bought, so I guess I'll hold onto it until I find a 32 version for cheap.
thanks

ninjacore said:
Okay, well I got the standard version with a Pc setup I bought, so I guess I'll hold onto it until I find a 32 version for cheap.
thanks
The A8N32-SLI-D has a few more things you can tweek in it's BIOS than does the A8N-SLI-D.

ninjacore said:
what are the extras?
I think you'll have to find that on the ASUS website, as i have neither both boards set up, nor a photographic memory, but I do recall alot of new memory settings though.

I've seen some people complaining about coming up short on vCore and vDimm w/the A8N version but I can only speak for the A8N32. Also, from what I've seen you have a 183 option (11:12) for the RAM ratio on the A8N32 that the A8N doesn't have.

I don't know what else is different between them but I haven't seen anything the A8N32 can't do. During testing my clock speed maxed out at 311 MHz and the HT Bus maxed out at 1130 MHz. I've been constantly running the HT Bus at 1100 MHz for 2 months now ...

I got the 32 and I wish I would have gotten the older one. Only thing the 32 offers better even for my SLI system (7800gt's) is chip set cooling. Better even yet, go DFI, I miss my SLI-DR... :(

Another advantage of the A8N32 SLi-Deluxe is the 8 Phase power design....

(taken from asus home page):
"8 Phase Power Design
* Cooler and quieter system
* Longer components lifespan
* More stable and reliable under heavy-loading and overclocking
The ASUS 8-Phase Power Design provides highly efficient operation to generate less heat (at least 15°C (36°F)) than other conventional power solutions. It reduces input ripple current and output ripple voltage, which keeps CPU and power module from suffering the risk of high power stress. It has the advantages of quick transient response and stability, especially beneficial when CPU requires more current immediately under heavy loading or overclocking mode."

QuietIce said:
... my clock speed maxed out at 311 MHz and the HT Bus maxed out at 1130 MHz. I've been constantly running the HT Bus at 1100 MHz for 2 months now ...
330 and over 1500 here. Try replacing the thermal pads on the heat pipe with real TIM . And, of course you need excellent case cooling too.

I just changed from a A8N-SLI Premium(dead and RMA'd) to the A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Here are the main things I found different:

A8N has the ability to hook up 8 SATA drives. One NVidia raid controller(4 drives) and 1 Silicon Image raid controlled(4 drives). A8N32 can support 6(i think) has 1 nVidia raid controller(4 drives) and a Silicon Image that controls 1 internal and 1 external drive (I think, don't use it)

I run two 7800GTXs and I lost all my data from my MB crash so i can't compare the performance difference between 8x and 16x. But i also run athird video card to control a second monitor and I can tell you the A8N32 is VERY tight on space. With two SLI cards in there with the Aerocool cooler, you have to sandwich in the other PCI card between the two. The A8N has two available PCI slots and they are both on the end of the slots so no cramming.

The overclocking ability of the A8N32 is definately superior to the A8N.

toy4x4 said:
i also run athird video card to control a second monitor
I'm confused.Why not just switch back and forth between SLI (single monitor)and non-SLI (dual monitor)?

billb said:
I'm confused.Why not just switch back and forth between SLI (single monitor)and non-SLI (dual monitor)?

Two reasons,

#1 is because I can then leave a few things up on the other monitor when I am playing games.

#2 If I could figure out how to make a desktop icon to switch back and forth, I would, but I'm too lazy to make all those clicks to get to the control panel and switch it. Besides, why not when you have the spare video card :)

toy4x4 said:
#2 If I could figure out how to make a desktop icon to switch back and forth, I would, but I'm too lazy to make all those clicks to get to the control panel and switch it.
Pretty sure you can drag & drop any Control Panel icon onto the desktop.

But reason #1 is enough ...

Back