• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silver Biocide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(Clanger)(DOA)

WT Uberclox0r
Ok, soo silver is a biocide. Is it a specific type of silver? Could any part of you WC system be silver and protect you from alge and other bac, as long as you use distilled water... right??

you havn't looked at the price of silver these days have you?

not only is silver useful for biocide, but it has better cooling effeciency then copper or aluminium, the reason no one uses it is because of Price, you would never have economically viable products with silver parts.

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
Ok, soo silver is a biocide. Is it a specific type of silver? Could any part of you WC system be silver and protect you from alge and other bac, as long as you use distilled water... right??
I don't think that's pure silver is a biocide, it's probably compounds that contain silver.

I'm not a biochemist...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Father is a jewler. ;)

I know it is pricey but I would spring the $123 for the Danger Den Silver Cpu block if i knew i would save the $123, in not having to buy anyhting but distilled water....

6.7oz * $12/oz = $80 just to buy the silver to make one block. 400% increase from just using copper. I don't think it would just be a $123 block.

Silver ion is a biocide. It gets that way after dissolving into the DI water. You don't need much of it though. For instance, in my lab, we can coat glassware with a layer of silver a few molecules thick to prevent growth in our barnstead water. That's a cheaper way of doing it.

Captain Helghas said:
6.7oz * $12/oz = $80 just to buy the silver to make one block. 400% increase from just using copper. I don't think it would just be a $123 block.

Silver ion is a biocide. It gets that way after dissolving into the DI water. You don't need much of it though. For instance, in my lab, we can coat glassware with a layer of silver a few molecules thick to prevent growth in our barnstead water. That's a cheaper way of doing it.

umm no sur, why make one when danger den sells one??? But will pure silver act as a Biocide???

Clicky

(Clanger)(DOA) said:
umm no sur, why make one when danger den sells one??? But will pure silver act as a Biocide???

Clicky
Yes silver will act as a biocide... what more is there to tell? Silver barbs would be a nice product... not too expensive and would serve the purpose.

Don't forget guys, some people on the forums don't have budgets, or have "flexible" budgets :D

This may not be an applicable case, but just mentioning.

yeah i wouldn't mind seeing silver barbs on the cpu block, or silver used as the block base instead of copper.

A silver block base would have quite a few advantages.

- Biocide, plus more water contact then the barbs would have.
- Transfers the heat quicker then the copper, so you would see some temp improvements
- the block base is a relatively small amount of copper so i wouldn't think it would be to expensive

the one you linked is all silver, seriously why would you bother making the whole thing out of silver and charging so much for it, seems like such a waste of metal as its only the block base thats transferring heat to the water.

maybe thats something that would work, but i wouldn't think silver would be to useful anywhere else in a loop.

It's Silver Azide I believe, I tried to pm a member here weather that was the exact chemical but he wasn't kind enough to email me back. I would like to know too.

Introduction to metals and their inhibition of bacteria

Yes silver can inhibit the growth of bacteria, this has been known for a long time, and it has been used to full effect for example in hospitals. New hospitals have used silver and other metals to make door handles and work benches so they can stop the spread of ‘germs’ AKA bacteria and moulds.

Metals such as copper also inhibit the growth of bacteria for example in this link below there is a copper coin on a plate of agar full of bacteria, however there is a zone of inhibition around the coin where the bacteria basically say “I cant grow there because there is some copper please God save me!”

http://faculty.abe.ufl.edu/~chyn/age4660/lect/lect_27/PH11_012.GIF

Then why do I still have crap and build up in my storm water block which is made of copper?

Well some bacteria are resistant to metals just like some bacteria are resistant to some antibiotics. (Another thing I have considered adding to my water cooling solution to kill bacteria is antibiotics but it’s just too expensive)

Also generally there isn’t a lot of bacteria on the copper surface of the storm water block. A build up of bacterial ‘scum’ is usually found on the plastic inside the water block.

Introduction to Tygon silver antimicrobial tubes

Tygon silver antimicrobial tubes come in 1 / 2 inch ID with 1 / 8 inch WT, and a 3 / 4 inch OD. A 1 / 2 inch ID tube is perfect for most water cooling needs and the product number is AS600038.

Tygon has made tubes that are impregnated with silver particles to make the tubes INHIBIT the growth of bacteria. The tubes don’t kill bacteria they just stop them from growing.

Now imagine a tube that has something similar to AS5 impregnated into it……
We like AS5 because it can conduct heat….
So the silver tubes have the additional ability to conduct the heat out of the water!

The tygon silver antimicrobial tubes have a very smooth ‘bore’ this slick inner surface prevents bacteria from adhering to the walls of the tubes, and also more readily permits the flow of water within the tube.

I asked Tygon if the tubes lose the antimicrobial effect over time, or if the silver particles would wash off after cleaning with some detergents? They said “No it will maintain its antimicrobial effect for the life of the tube and you can even clean it with sanitizers such as hypochlorite solutions.” (The tubes were made for the beverage and bio tech industry in mind)

You may think that because the Tygon silver tube is impregnated with metals it is not as flexiable as R3606. But you are wrong it is MORE flexible than R3606, with a working bend radius of 1-3/4 inches. And just like the R3603 tubes it is chemical resistant to just about anything except strong solvents. The tubes can also withstand an autoclave cycle if you wish to sterilize your tubes before you begin work. So to sum it up you can still ad chemicals to your water if you wish and you can now use it in small PC cases.

Some drawbacks with Tygon Silver tubes

It is prohibitively expensive, mainly due to the silver that is impregnated into the tube. It is about 5-6 times more expensive than R3603 (The typical tygon tube most people use).

A minimum purchase of 50 ft (that’s a lot of tube for one rig)

The tubes are not clear they are silver in color, so if you need to see if there is crap in your water you need a clear reservoir like swiftec micro res.

Last edited:
Although silver is expensive.... you could just coat the barb in silver it does not have to be solid silver as such. Same with the water blocks if you could just give them a coat of silver it would still be quite affordable.

There are other metals that are more effective as antimicrobial agents than silver but silver does conduct heat quite well.

Last edited:
There could be a possibility that any form of silver could be used like siliver nitrate, silver chloride, silver oxalate which some of may be much cheaper than elemental silver. The problem is knowing if it:

Is a biocide
reacts with metals
Is completely soluable in water
Is corrosive
Possibly stains

wun911 said:
Introduction to metals and their inhibition of bacteria

Yes silver can inhibit the growth of bacteria, this has been known for a long time, and it has been used to full effect for example in hospitals. New hospitals have used silver and other metals to make door handles and work benches so they can stop the spread of ‘germs’ AKA bacteria and moulds.

Metals such as copper also inhibit the growth of bacteria for example in this link below there is a copper coin on a plate of agar full of bacteria, however there is a zone of inhibition around the coin where the bacteria basically say “I cant grow there because there is some copper please God save me!”

http://faculty.abe.ufl.edu/~chyn/age4660/lect/lect_27/PH11_012.GIF

So if these metals all act in the same way, then simply having a silver waterblock will only help to prevent bacteria growing on the block itself. That is, bacteria can still grow elsewhere in the loop and may eventually end up clogging the block too. So essentially, a silver or copper block does not solve the problem and you will still need an additive to help. Is that correct?

Back