• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buy a cpu now or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

I'm looking for a new cpu(currently have the 64 3500+) but dont know if I should wait a few months, maybe around holiday season or get one now.

Me2. I have a 64 3000+ and im thinking about going to either a:
3800+ X2 Dual Core for 120$
or a
4600+ X2 for 260$
Should i wait or update? im running on 939 so no AM2 for Me

Last edited:
OP, what socket do you have? If it's 939 then you should go now because nothing new is coming out, and I don't think there will be price cuts for a while.

Get a 3800 X2 (2x512K L2) or 4400 X2 (2x1MB L2), OC it, and let that hold you off until AM3. No reason to go AM2 right now if you already have 939. I don't think you're going to see much price fluctuation between now and the holidays, might as well bite now.

exactly what harlam said.

If you have a 939 rig now, def. bite on it now as prices have already dropped over 50% and there not going to drop much more...

If you want a quick upgrade, go ahead and do it now. The x2 3800+ gets my vote here.

If you are willing to wait and spend a little bit more money, there is a chance that AM2 will have matured by the holiday season enough to make it worth it over socket 939.

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
^^ Im assuming you mean the 65nm die shrink? Maybe... I gotta wait and see how that turns out. All i gotta say is about time to amd :p

A die shrink maybe, but I am betting there will be some better overclocking motherboards in general.

I am in the exact same situation. I have a 3500+ (s939) and was thinking about upgrading. To make the performance worth spending the money (if you game anyway) you better get a 2x1MB one or it will be a waste of money. I'm waiting for AM3, unless they drop the 2x1MB X2's some more...

Teque5 said:
Me2. I have a 64 3000+ and im thinking about going to either a:
3800+ X2 Dual Core for 120$
or a
4600+ X2 for 260$
Should i wait or update? im running on 939 so no AM2 for Me

I would get a 165 or 4400 before that 4600

Immortal_Hero said:
I am in the exact same situation. I have a 3500+ (s939) and was thinking about upgrading. To make the performance worth spending the money (if you game anyway) you better get a 2x1MB one or it will be a waste of money.
this is wrong, and has been pointed out many times by me here...the extra cache is 1-3% better in games...

Would Deffinately agree, 3800+ is the way to go =P. its just so cheap

Otherwise you could try a 4000+ if you don't want the dual core. That thing has been known to hit some crazy speeds...

but on second thought, who in thier right mind wouldn't go dual core if they had the choice?

If you don't plan on switching over to a Intel-based rig(C2D) and are holding off for a bigger(or should I say smaller :p) better AMD chip to be released go ahead and pick up an X2 3800+. Last time I checked they were pretty cheap. Hell, for that price AND dual-core.. what a deal. It's not like the X2 3800+ is a bad chip or something.

Back