• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY 6800GT dies this a.m.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Evry once in a while when I started up the rig my display would get all whacky and distorted so i would hit the reset button and the display would clear right up. This time my luck ran out :( I fired up the rig and I get the dreaded 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. A sure sign there's a video problem. Pull the card out, reseat it and try again..same beep error :mad:.

Undecided if i should RMA again to BFG or just get a dang new VC. With a 3 month old baby it's really hard to shell out $$ for new parts. I'll need something that's on par or somewhat better that my 6800GT but @ a bargain price. Any suggestion? I need help asap, Wifey's rig is far from a gamer :cry:

If you don't have the case for a new vid card and you can RMA it then go for it. Even if you buy a new card RMA the dead one and sell it. It amazes me what poeple will pay for used stuff on ebay.

Yeah, I might as well RMA it. I don't sell on fleabay as I don't have an account. Oh well, he goes the waiting game....

Well, if you're happy with your 6800GT, then just rma it and keep it. If you have been wanting and upgrade anyways, then buy a new one, rma the old one, and sell it in the classifieds to offset the cost of the new one.

Just to be sure it's the video card, I would suggest trying another video card if you have one available. I battled with the "1 long beep, 2 short beep" POST error on the A8N-SLI Deluxe board for many months (sometimes it would POST fine, other times it would give this error) before I finally figured out that the mobo didn't like some of my RAM timings. The beep codes on the mobo don't tell you whether it's a RAM or video error, and even the voice POST reporter will give you the wrong message. In my case, the POST reporter would always say "System failed VGA test" when in fact it was a RAM problem.

KillrBuckeye said:
Just to be sure it's the video card, I would suggest trying another video card if you have one available. I battled with the "1 long beep, 2 short beep" POST error on the A8N-SLI Deluxe board for many months (sometimes it would POST fine, other times it would give this error) before I finally figured out that the mobo didn't like some of my RAM timings. The beep codes on the mobo don't tell you whether it's a RAM or video error, and even the voice POST reporter will give you the wrong message. In my case, the POST reporter would always say "System failed VGA test" when in fact it was a RAM problem.

Well it was running normal for quite sometime. I've never had any issues with the board at all, except for the fact it did'nt like my Gskill ram so i swapped out for the Corsair and it was fine after that. Tested the corair ram in wifey's rig, both sticks are ok.

mr. roboto said:
Well, if you're happy with your 6800GT, then just rma it and keep it. If you have been wanting and upgrade anyways, then buy a new one, rma the old one, and sell it in the classifieds to offset the cost of the new one.

Well the very first one i had was making sqealing noises. I sent it in the first time and got this one which was great. I mean I would like to get a 7800GT/GTX but on a tight budget it's hard. Anyways the 6800GT never failed me and ran my games just fine. If i can scrounge up enough moolah for a new card i can do just what you mentioned :)

chevro1et said:
Well, here is to hoping that something good will come of it all (ie BFG sends you new card), really crappy about your downtime though.

Well made the call and after 10 minutes on hold finally got the RMA # so this puppy will be replaced. I'm hoping they'll replace it with a newer card....I should be so lucky, lol. In any event a replacement will be good none-the-less :D I'll be stuck using wifey's rig till then tho :rolleyes: Oh well, nuttin else i can do about that. I'll keep evryone posted.

Back