• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken hard drive???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFG34

I have a lot of reasons to believe my hard drive is broken, even after reinstall of windows same problems, so is there a program that can check to make sure??

Sure, you can go to Western Digital's site and download diagnostic tools to run off a floppy disk, or from Windows if it is stable enough. Alternatively, you can burn The Ultimate Boot CD (Google it to find it), which contains hard drive diagnostic tools for many manufacturers.

Just curious though: Why do you think it's a hard drive problem?

when i run most programs {msn, some tv prgram, winamp or some other prgrams, the just dnt run or install, keep getting the "do you want to report this error"}. Sound doesnt work after a while with games, WMP. rite now i hear a loud buzzing from HD. These problems happen even after a fresh reinstall. The past 2 months i have at least reinstalled windows 5 -7 times. UT2K4 load slower, and i get pauses

Can you use another computer to download the DOS version of the diagnostics and create the bootable floppy? It definitely sounds like you're experiencing filesystem corruption, but this can be caused by things other than a faulty HDD. The loud noise is definitely not good though.

^^^i run ccleaner every now and then, these problems always come, even after fresh install of OS

UPDATE ON PROBLEMS:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/5563/untitledrk5.jpg
Look at that pic, my theme is half classic, half modern, it keeps switchin every now and then, the language bar is present, every time i remove it, restart pc, it comes back.

i burned the diagnostic file to cd as "image file" on nero (as instructed to do so on WD's page) and it doesnt boot. I put CD-rom as priority, 1st in line, even then it didint boot. My second copy of the CD that i burnt didnt work either. im lost help please

afg34 said:
^^^i run ccleaner every now and then, these problems always come, even after fresh install of OS

UPDATE ON PROBLEMS:

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/5563/untitledrk5.jpg
Look at that pic, my theme is half classic, half modern, it keeps switchin every now and then, the language bar is present, every time i remove it, restart pc, it comes back.

i burned the diagnostic file to cd as "image file" on nero (as instructed to do so on WD's page) and it doesnt boot. I put CD-rom as priority, 1st in line, even then it didint boot. My second copy of the CD that i burnt didnt work either. im lost help please
Burn the Ultimate Boot CD. It creates an .iso file that you can open in Nero and immediately burn. This CD contains the WD diagnostic tools that you need.

afg34 said:
i run it, i come to a dos interface, it says:

[DR-DOS] - A :/>

wat do i type??
Run what? The Ultimate Boot CD should boot and bring you to a text-based menu where you can choose from many different applications. If you're not getting this, then you did something wrong.

KillrBuckeye said:
Run what? The Ultimate Boot CD should boot and bring you to a text-based menu where you can choose from many different applications. If you're not getting this, then you did something wrong.

S#@$, i burnt hte wrong file then, i download it, burnt it tried it, didnt even boo t up, then i extracted the downloaded file and burn it, didint wrk, i extract that and get like 14 files but this time instead of "burn image file" i selected "bootable data cd", and it got me into that dos screen. So i don't know what to do.

The file you download is an executable if I remember correctly. Run that file and it will create a .iso file. Start Nero and then open the .iso file by going to File => Open. Burn the CD and then boot with it.

Back